Chapter 17

Staying with her back against the wall near Minho, Emma subconsciously touched the scarf around her neck, which covered the bruise Alby's hands had left behind.
Her headache from two days previous had returned in full force, but she did her best to ignore it and push it aside.

"Has he said anything?" Minho asked as they entered the Medhut.

"No," Teresa replied.

Newt carefully sat down on the cot a few inches away from Alby, worry in his eyes.

"Alby...Alby, are you all right?"

No response.

Alby's arms were folded, and he was sitting up, staring into space, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Hey, Alby." Thomas knelt in front of him, trying to get some kind of response with the good news.
"Alby, we might have just found a way out of the maze. Do you hear me? We could be getting out of here."

"We can't." Alby finally whispered, looking on the verge of tears, which shocked Emma.
Even in spite of the fact that Alby had tried to strangle her the evening before, she felt sympathy for him.

"We can't leave. They won't let us."

"What are you talking about?" Thomas's brows furrowed.

"I remember." Alby breathed, his voice trembling.

"What do you remember?"

He turned to Thomas, then eyes flicking briefly up to Emma."You....and her. But you were always their favorite, Thomas. Always. Why did you do this? Why did you come here?"
A tear slid down his cheek.

When Alby looked at Emma, she took a half step back, heart dropping in her chest at the haunted, lost look in his eyes.
This shell of a person couldn't be the same boy she thought she knew, who had helped welcome her to the glade so long ago.

Shouting outside drew their attention away from Alby, with Emma being one of the first out the door.

Gladers were rushing around, torches held aloft, orders being shouted in a frenzic hurry.

Thomas stopped him.
"Winston, what's going on?"

"It's the doors. They aren't closing,"he answered, dashing away.
He and several of the gladers were going to the maze entrance, to investigate.
Tossing Minho a glance, Thomas and the others followed the rest to the maze entrance.

If the doors didn't close....
An uneasy look passed between Emma and Newt. Then, a sharp, thundering explosion shattered the night. Gladers cried out in surprise, hunching over, holding hands over their ears.

 Gladers cried out in surprise, hunching over, holding hands over their ears