Chapter 10

Needless to say Emma didn't get very much sleep that night.
She'd avoided too much conversation at all at dinner, then had retired to her hammock early.

In spite of her brushing off concerns of the others and saying she was fine, those close to her, especially Newt, knew Emma was just trying to deal with her grief and guilt.
Guilt she shouldn't have had to be dealing with.

Newt's eyes flicked over to where she lay in her hammock, eyes shut, curled on her side beneath her blanket.
He knew Emma probably wasn't asleep, just avoiding talking with anyone.

He was feeling something now, something more than just closeness because of their friendship, but he wasn't quite sure what that was.
All he knew for sure was that he wanted to be there for her every step of the way, no matter what.

~•~•~

The next morning, Emma was already awake when Newt emerged from his room near the sleeping area.
He found her pulling weeds in the garden, her fingers stained green from the plant juices.
Looking upwards at Newt's approach, she met his eyes.

He opened his mouth, but Emma answered before he could ask.
"I'll be okay," she said softly, a corner of her mouth turning upwards in a sad sort of smile.

Returning her smile, Newt knelt down with her, both of them working together in peaceful silence for a few minutes, their shoulders brushing, before they were interrupted by the sound of approaching footsteps.

It was Minho with Alby, Alby taking Newt a ways, the two speaking in low tones.

Fifteen minutes later, the group of four stood together as Alby and Minho were preparing to leave, to retrace Ben's path in the maze.

"You take care of yourselves, alright shanks?"

Minho gave Emma a crooked smile. "You know I always do. However, this guy...."  he gestured with his thumb to Alby who chuckled, rolling his eyes.

Smiling a little at that, she handed Alby a knapsack containing some food for the day.

"Good luck."

Giving a nod to her and Newt, Alby shouldered the bag, the two boys turned, jogging into the maze, Minho giving her a wink.

Newt and Emma stood there together, watching until Minho and Alby had disappeared around a far corner of the maze.

Be safe, she thought, biting her lip.

Newt saw her expression. "They're gonna be alright Emmy."
Nodding at him, she hoped he was right.

And as the day went on, Emma continuously had her hands busy. A couple of the Slicers had needed to be bandaged up, then Fry had somehow managed to dislocate his thumb, and Zart had gotten a nasty cut on his left eyebrow (and how he did that she would never know).

Later that morning when Emma finally got a period she felt she could actually breathe, she made her way over to where Newt was working on removing a tree stump with Zart, Thomas sitting over by Chuck on a log nearby.

"....Alby knows what he's doing... all right? He knows better than any of us."

"What does that mean?" Thomas asked.
Emma could tell Newt was getting a little frustrated with all the greenie's questions.
Zart waved at her approach. "Hey Emma!"

He turned and met her eyes, a smile unconsciously blooming on his face. "Hi Emmy."

"I have maybe, five minutes before the next slinthead injures himself, so I decided to come over and see if you shanks needed any help."
Newt laughed, and Emma felt a warm, tingly sensation rise in her chest.
I made him laugh. And then,  I never realized how beautiful his smile his.