november 28, 2004

the scene linked above is the one they filmed from the previous chapter

• the scene linked above is the one they filmed from the previous chapter •

HEATH LEDGER WAS FAMILIAR with the concept of getting up and leaving. Back in his early 20s he had made the decision to leave Perth and head for Sydney in order to start his acting career. He had told his family his plan, and as much as they believed in him, they did have a slim fear he wouldn't be okay. His big break on the Australian tv show Sweat proved to his family that he would make it. As risky as it was to get up and leave the life he knew behind, it was necessary if he wanted to prosper in the film industry.

So, when the assistant director had spoken about Lennon Sarsgaard leaving the Brokeback set for London, Heath was practically in shock.

He wanted to ask the assistant questions upon questions about her alleged departure, but in fear of drawing attention from Michelle, he didn't. Instead, he waited until filming was wrapped for the day to run to her hotel room. He knocked on the door for several minutes only for there to be no answer.

Not believing that Lennon had left out of the blue, Heath made his way to his hotel room, banging on Jake's bedroom door.

"What?" He opened the door and crossed his arms.

Heath kept his eyes trained on the floor, clearing his throat he asked, "Where's Lennon?"

"She's in London—"

Not letting Jake finish, he cut him off, "But, why?"

"She got a role, in that new Batman movie Chris Nolan is making. They needed her right away, so... she left."

"Do you have the number to her hotel there?" Heath stared at his costar feeling frantic.

Jake shook his head, "no I don't. Even if I did what makes you think I would give it to you? Just so you can hurt her again? You have a girlfriend, man."

"I can't just talk to her?" He rose his eyebrow, "have a simple conversation with her? It's not like I'm going to fuck her through the phone, mate."

Heat instantly rose to Jake's cheeks, as much as he was bitter about the Lennon situation, the tone his costar was using was completely inappropriate. Heath went and fucked his friend, knowing he had a girlfriend, made her cry for several days, only to want to contact her when she leaves. The concept was delusional.

"Heath," Jake sighed, "go to hell, man."

Lennon's anxiety diminished as soon as Christian had made her feel comfortable. Jane was right, he was incredibly nice and welcoming. He made her feel like they had known each other for years, although they didn't.

    After their scene together on Friday, Christian offered to rehearse with her after production hours.

    "It'd be my pleasure," he said.