Chapter 11

Queen Alejandra ~~~

I was perched on Serenity's window that over looked our kingdom and wondered where my daughter could be.

"Mommy?"

I looked over slowly to see Aria next to me with tears in her eyes.

I looked away. I couldn't bear to see her look at me that way.

"Come on Aria, Mommy isn't it feeling well."

"But-"

"Come on."

I turned to see Valerie ushering Aria out of the room. I caught her eye as she turned to look over her shoulder at me. I could see the worry in her eyes.

Serenity had been missing for almost 2 full moons. We'd looked everywhere in the Atlantic to find her. We even asked some of our cousins in the Pacific if they had seen her.

I was worried she had been captured by humans.

Or worse, the Stormhold family.

They were known for hunting Merfolk. They stopped when they signed a treaty between the royal family of Verona (The Stormholds) and the royal family of Alyreia. It stated that they would never hunt Merfolk ever again. Though that was only because they'd killed the Queen who happened to be a Mermaid.

Queen Merida was beautiful. She was also my best friend. We'd planned on having our first borns be married to join our families. Her son Sebastian who was 17 when she passed, was to marry Serenity who was 15.

They were in the process of courting when it happened. Sebastian and Serenity had drifted apart and were no longer to be married. Serenity, who was heartbroken, understood how Sebastian felt. Since then Serenity and Sebastian haven't spoken.

I sighed and looked at my tail. The once vibrant purple color it used to be, was now a pale lavender almost white color. The stress and sadness was getting to me. We lived off of joy and happiness. Anything negative kills us.

I ran a hand through my hair and rubbed my neck.

The necklace! Where is it?!

"She has it," I whispered

But it would've washed up by now right? Surely we would've found it..

"She's alive..she's alive!" I exclaimed

I quickly got up and swam fast to the warriors arena to find the commander.

The warriors bowed their heads in respect but I didn't acknowledge them.

"My Queen," John bowed, his yellow tail gently swaying back and forth

"I'm sorry," I breathed heavily "Have I caught you at a bad time?" I nodded at the newest members of our army who looked completely lost and nervous.

"Of course not, we were just discussing battle strategies." he set down the spear he was holding and cocked his head in the direction of his quarters.

"What seems to be the matter?" John asked

"Oh, John," I clasped my fingers together "I believe she's alive."

John's eyes widened "Serenity? How do you know?"

"The necklace of course. I'd given it to her the day she went missing. Now if she really had perished don't you think we would've found it?" I asked

John pondered over this for a second "If she is alive, and I do mean if, she must be on land."

"But she would've come back if she was on land," I protested "She hasn't had legs before. What could possibly keep her from coming back?"

"What if she can't swim.."

I quirked an eyebrow at John

"What if something is preventing her from swimming?"

"How is that even possible?" I crossed my arms

"An injury.."

"That's not good!" I yelled "If she's injured badly and can't even transform, she'll turn human! She can't turn human, a human won't be able to rule this kingdom!" I fell to the sea floor, the sadness slowly took over

John swam towards me and held me close. Letting me bury my head in the crook of his neck.

"Alejandra, everything will be alright. We'll find her time." He whispered

He was right. We'll find her and bring her home. The worst that could happen is her falling in love. In the meantime, I hope she doesn't.

"Where could she be?" I asked, hating the fact that I didn't know

"I don't know. We can ask the other kingdoms, though they'll want something in return." he said grimly

"I'll do whatever it takes." I said firmly

"Alejandra-" he began

"No, She is my daughter and I will do anything and everything to make sure I get her back."

"Yes, my Queen."

~~~~~~~~

Serenity ~~~

My hand lingered on the door knob

Memories from when I was younger flooded back. Memories of Sebastian and his mother. Memories of us which hurt the most.

"My father is dying.."

Those four simple words had so much sadness in them.

His mother had been murdered 3 years ago. Everything seemed so sudden. His father couldn't die. He would have no one else.

"Did you know I was here?"

"No, but I can send word to your mother so she knows you're alright." he offered

I see. He didn't know. I was just a coincidence. Wrong place wrong time.

"So you came here to find a wife?" I asked

"Yes. That and I really wanted someone new. Someone who didn't know my past and could just like me for me and not a prince."

Anger flared up inside me. It makes sense I suppose that he agreed to find a wife given his circumstances.

But I liked you for you! We were meant to be together! I loved you..

"Good luck." I whispered

I opened the door and limped out into the hallway, trying to move as quickly as I could to the garden.

Once I got there I sat next to some lilies. Wet warmth traveled down to my cheeks dropping onto my hand. I lifted my hand to my face and quickly wiped away the tears.

Tears are stupid. I want to go back home!

I must be so stupid. I had always thought that we would be married. Our mothers had discussed it behind closed doors and when I overheard, my heart filled with joy.

When his mother passed, I tried my best to know everything and do good in my lessons. Hoping that we would one day be married and I'd be the best Queen to him.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Now here he was. Three years later, as handsome as ever. Searching for a Queen.

And it wasn't me.