Chapter 9

Unknown POV ~~~

"I don't have time for this," I muttered as a looked out of the stage coach

This is stupid.

"We're almost there, sire." the driver yelled

Finally

I looked out of the coach again taking in the change of scenery. Verona was thriving. The villages we past were filled with merchants. I signaled for the driver to stop, and I got out to look around.

I stood in front of a table filled with sea glass forged into jewelry. There were many different earrings and necklaces, but one ring caught my eye.

"Where did you get this?" I asked the girl behind the table

"I-I found it sir. Along the coast. My father says it might've belonged to a mermaid once but she lost it. I've often wished to be a mermaid." she said

It belonged to a mermaid indeed. The last time I saw this ring it was on my mothers hand.

The ring was beautiful. Tiny crushed up Rose Quartz and Amethyst surrounded by a white gold band. My mother had made it herself, so I'd been told.

I clenched my fist as I remembered my mother. Growing up without her was tough even though I knew my father tried.

"How much?" I asked

"You can have it," she said "I never got around to putting a price on it, but I think you know it's value more than I do." she gave me a small smile

"Thank you.." I said

I walked towards the coach and got inside before signaling the driver that I was ready.

The coach lurched forward as the driver got the horses moving

It would only be a short while until I was in the castle of the people who took away the most precious thing that was in my life. I was prepared to fight so that they wouldn't take another if it came to it. I'm old enough now that I won't hold back. No matter the consequences.

~~~~~~~~

Queen Cassandra ~~~

"Ladies, ladies!" I clapped my hands trying to get their attention

My lord what was I thinking. There are too many women. Oh I hope there are no arguments.

The girls quieted down and gathered around. There were about 100 girls all dressed in their best gowns all from different kingdoms. You could feel the excitement in the air. The different perfumes spread throughout the air making it smell sweet and spicy.

"The ball will start in 2 hours as soon the last prince will arrive. Remember ladies that there might not be time for everyone to get one on one time with a prince. Do not interfere with another woman's chance at being picked or you will be escorted out. I will not have anyone messing around in my castle." I said taking a breath

"Tears and fighting are prohibited. We do not have time for you to have an emotional breakdown. This ball is not for you nor is it about you. This is the first ball we've had we have not decided if it will become tradition." I clapped my hands "Now if you would like there are 4 powder rooms for you to freshen up and there are refreshments which will lead to dinner where you will eat with the princes and then get to know each-other and from then on until midnight until the princes have picked their 12 women."

I nodded to the guards as I left the ballroom. The chatter of the girls picked up as I walked towards the doors.

As I made my way to the gardens a guard came up to me

"Your majesty, the Alyreian prince has arrived."

"Where is he?" I asked

"In the parlor." he said bowing as I dismissed him.

My heart began to beat faster as I made my way to the parlor in the front of the castle.

In one of the lounge chairs there was a young man. He stood and walked towards me.

His hair was black and his eyes sea green. He inherited his long legs and muscular build from his father but his facial features from his mother.

"Queen Cassandra," he bowed

"Prince Sebastian."