Chapter 6

Serenity ~~~~

I think I'm getting the hang of this. Being human. I smiled as I made my way to my room to get bathed and dressed for dinner.

I ran the faucet attached to the tub and watched the tub fill with water. I stripped myself of my gown and placed it on the chair in the bathroom. I stepped in and sank down in the tub and stared at my legs.

They didn't change.

The longer I stared the more homesick I became.

A tear fell, and then soon they were rushing down.

"Please come back," I whispered "Please."

My body shook from crying and my nose was running. I sank deeper into the water until I was completely submerged.

I tried to breathe but water rushed into my mouth and I swallowed, causing myself to choke and cough.

I shot up out of the water splashing and coughing, taking deep breaths when I could. I didn't understand. I felt hysterical and started crying more.

I clumsily reached for a towel and it slipped out of my grasp falling onto the floor. I leaned over the tub and stretched my hand out to get it.

"Serenity are you dressed yet?" a familiar voice said

I heard footsteps getting louder signaling that Patrick was getting closer and closer to the bathroom.

I didn't even shut the door!

I scrambled to get the towel and stood quickly almost losing my balance as it held the towel in front of me.

"Sere-" Patrick noticed my state and didn't make eye contact with me.

He blushed and looked at the ceiling and scratched his head

"Uhm..my mother asked me to escort you to the..dining room.." he said glancing at me but then looking somewhere else

"Thank you," I squeaked "I'll be ready shortly. If you would be so kind to wait outside and not in my chambers please."

He cleared his throat "Yes of course." he walked away stiffly and closed the door behind him.

I sighed and stepped out of the tub and dried myself off.

I didn't have my tail, my necklace didn't allow me to contact my ancestors, and I couldn't even breathe under water.

I wrapped a fluffy garment around me and tied it in the front. I sat down on the chair in front of the vanity and began to brush my hair. I started to put my hair in an intricate braid that started from one side of my head to the other, letting it rest on my shoulder.

When it was to my liking, I walked over to the bed and lifted the silk red gown lying there. The gown was one shouldered with gold lace detailing along the top. It had a fitted waist and flowed out touching the floor. It was beautiful to say the least.

After I had attempted to put the dress on, a servant came to help me with the corset.

"How do women breathe in these things?" I gasped for air as the servant pulled on the strings

"It's latest in fashion miss," she pulled harder

"Will you please tell the Queen that I love the dress?" I asked looking behind me as the servant tied the strings

She looked up in confusion "The Queen didn't send this dress. The Prince did."

"Oh..I guess thank him for me?"

"Not to be rude miss, but you can tell him yourself seeing as he's right outside."

My eyes widened and I looked from her to the door