Chapter Twenty Two

Hamilton squeezed his eyes shut and opened the door, quickly drawing his hand back and crossing it over his chest. After a few moments, he forced himself to open his eyes. The room looked the same, but without Laurens. Hamilton let his arms down to his sides and stepped fully into the room. The bed was the same mess it always was, and clothes were thrown haphazardly across the floor. There were a few things that Hamilton didn't notice, like the shelf of books and the unique posters hung around the room. It was kind of obvious why Hamilton wouldn't pay attention to those things. He shivered at the thought and kept looking to distract himself. If he let his mind wander for one moment... it would be all over for him.

He stared at the bed. Something about it seemed... off. Maybe it was that Hamilton wasn't being pinned down onto it. He dug his fingernails into his palms. Breath, you can do it, he thought to himself. Then he realized what had seemed off. On the bed was a recklessly folded piece of paper, and written in the sloppy handwriting only John Laurens could master, was the name Alexandra scrawled at the top. Hamilton ripped the paper from the bed and opened it, reading it's contents with an alarming fear. After reading the note time and time again, he stormed out of the room. Rage filled every single bone in his body as he slammed the note on the table, his palm smacking the table as he did so.

"He's taunting us!" Hamilton screamed. "He's taunting me!" Angelica picked up the note and read it while Hamilton continued. "He could be all the way out of New York by now. Philip could be dead by now." Tears were streaming from Hamilton's face as he continued, stalking away from the kitchen and into the living room. "He could be escaping while we still don't know where Philip is and while Lafayette is suffering because of him!" Jefferson read the note over Angelica shoulders while Hamilton took to pacing the room, thinking of every scenario that could be playing out right not and muttering the absolutely horrible ones he thinks of out loud.

"Alexander, calm down," Jefferson pleaded. To anyone else, Jefferson's face showed concern and patience for the smaller man's outburst, but to said smaller man, all he could see was red. Everywhere Hamilton looked was red. It was the only thing that could describe this complete loathing and pain he felt right now. Hamilton shook his head and continued pacing.

"Lexi, please," Angelica pleaded. Hamilton looked up at her, a flash of fear crossing his eyes before it was replaced again with anger. "We'll find them. We'll find Philip. Laurens will be brought to justice. Lafayette will get better. Everything will work out."

"And the others?" Hamilton growled. "Mulligan? Lee? Reynolds? What if they're helping him out there. What if those three are the reason Laurens is escaping?"

"Then we'll bring them to justice, too. But right now, you need to sit."

Hamilton pouted and dramatically threw himself into a chair at the kitchen table. His head spun with contradicting memories and thoughts, the one winning him over being a past memory of Laurens.

Hamilton sat at the table with Laurens beside him. Hamilton watched Laurens as he finished copying homework from a friend.

"Do you ever think about the future?"  Hamilton asked.

"Yeah." Laurens glanced up at Hamilton, but all too quickly glanced back down at his homework.

"What do you think about?"

"You. Me. A house. A family."

"A family?" Hamilton smiled.

"Yeah. You would make beautiful kids." 

Hamilton grinned. That was the best compliment Laurens had given him in a long time.

"Would we still go on dates and turn into a couple who gets in trouble?"

Laurens smirked. "Yeah."

Hamilton felt his heart swell. A future. He could finally look forwards to a future with Laurens in it.

"Alexander!" Hamilton snapped his head up to see Jefferson and Angelica staring at him.

"What?"

"Lex, we're going to find them, okay?" Jefferson reassured, using a soft voice. Hamilton stared at Jefferson before he realized he was crying.

"Yeah," he mumbled, his small flashback dejecting him. Imagining a future with Laurens now seemed impossible. 

"Eliza texted me," Angelica said. "Laf said he's all for pressing charges. As long as we can get Philip back."

"Let's go see Laf." Hamilton decided. "We need a plan."

This is my last post for a while. See y'all in a week!