❝soul mates❞

in case you haven't guessed, this is a soul mate au imagine

the wind was whipping and the san diego weather was causing you to perspire. you were already late for the bus and subsequently decided to ditch class altogether. your sleeves were rolled up, showing off your soul mate tattoo- the script was humorous, even you had to admit it. on your wrist were the words "you've got to be kidding me." it always sounded like something a friend or close acquaintance would say, but so far, its never been someone's first words to you. you've simply accepted the fact that you'll probably hate your soul mate and end up a single hippie, living in some buddhist temple on top of a mountain, listening to some groovy spa hymns and doing yoga all day.

you decided to take a leisurely walk. you had a soda in hand and were minding your own business, secretly trying not to get recognized by anyone who'd rat you out at school.

turning a corner down an alley you bumped into something, or more like someone.

"yo dude, watch where you're going!" you shouted.

sticky soda was spilled all over your white t-shirt and it clung to your abdomen. thank god it was sprite, at least it wouldn't stain.

looking up from your catastrophe of an outfit you looked at the kid who you bumped into, who was looking down at his arm curiously.

"you've got to be kidding me!" he looked at you.

instantaneously, you looked down at your own arm- the same exact words the boy just spoke were etched into your skin.

"this is my only jacket, i'm fucking soaked," he complained.

your eyes were still wide, as wide as saucers actually. you just found your soulmate who, not to your surprise, sounds like a total asshole already.

"in my defense, it was your fault too," you bit your lip and decided to check him out a little.

messy brown hair, caramel eyes, long eyelashes, prominent scar, not to mention he seemed filthy. he's cute.

he scoffed at your comment.

"where's the wet t-shirt contest?" he asked sarcastically.

it was your turn to scoff, but you didn't bother attempting to cover yourself up.

"haha, very funny. when's the last time you've showered?" you bit back.

he sucked in a huge intake of breath, and that second it crossed your mind that you might've been insensitive.

"too long," he answered, sizing you up with a glare.

"dirty clothes, messy hair, bloody fingernails, dust-freckled face. is my soul mate homeless?" you mentally asked yourself.

he rolled his eyes as he saw you mentally putting two and two together, before grabbing the remnants of your cup of soda and downing it. he handed back the empty can, with a quick, "later."

you closed your eyes for a split second.

"hey, hey, hey. are we just going to ignore these?" you grabbed his sleeve and held your own arm out for inspection.

he grabbed your wrist, running his thumb over the "ink" as if to see if it would rub off. it didn't.

"i-i'm not who you think i am. i mean yeah, the "fates" have destined we be together; all that twin flame bullshit. but i'm homeless, and an orphan, and very hungry. i can tell we're not a match. let's just assume it's a mistake and be on our merry way." he looked at you sympathetically.

"wait!" you gripped his fingers and pulled him against the brick wall.

meeting your soul mate is supposed to be a big deal- you didn't want to remember it as being some five minute encounter. the gods must know something, right?

he peered down at you challengingly.

you stood up on your tippy toes and pressed your lips against his. his eyes fluttered closed and you could feel his long lashes tickling your skin. for a moment, he didn't do anything. but you cupped his face with your hands and stroked his cheekbones. you could feel his eyebrows furrow as he leaned into the kiss, his hands ghosting over yours.

you pulled away and he looked down at you in surprise, like he had no clue what comes next. frankly you never planned this far either.

for a brief second you both searched each other's eyes in wonder and curiosity.

you smirked before interlocking your fingers with his.

"at least give me a fucking chance, twin flame," you smiled cheekily.

"my name's marcus," he gasped as you lurched him forward, getting ready to sprint.

"i'm y/n! and today is your lucky day, because i owe you a new jacket and a shower."

note: i finished the umbrella academy. it was hella good, five is probably my favorite. klaus is a close second though, ive always had a soft spot for junkies. i also started the handmaid's tale, which is fuckin wild. in a few days i'll post a headcanon about a resolution to the previous one- one where marcus and y/n make up or are on good terms. requests are still open! you can check out the very first chapter titled "intro" for more info and some prompts to choose from! thanks!