CHAPTER ELEVEN

THE WILLIES' HOOK

COPYRIGHT 2014 © JOESLINE

CHAPTER ELEVEN

"I read through the list of employees that was stationed here but Felicia Apes's name was not inside." He frowned, folding arms in deep thoughts. "And, I made a distance call to the head quarter. The Human Resource told me that Felicia Apes was assigned to the oil port."

"She's assigned here but she is not here" I caught the problem. It's a waste trip.

Jack nodded, "Orion was hundred percent sure about her presence so she went and checked through every dorm located in the oil port." He took out a pendent and placed on my palm, "And she found this"

I held it tightly before opening to the pendent. There was small photo clipped inside the pendent. Astonishing it was, the photo was a baby picture of me. Eyes looked at Jack for answers as I shook my head in disbelief.

"Yes, we presume that this pendent was found in one of the employees' locker cupboard. And it seemed to belong to Felicia Apes"

Orion suddenly appeared from nowhere. Without any hesitation, she brought our attention to the incoming helicopter that had just arrived on the oil port. "Felicia Apes!"

We headed down to where the helicopter is. I took my steps carefully while I walked to the woman that was making conversation with one of the employees. They were reading on some charts. That woman had a define feature. She was like a replicate of me. I frowned at her looks, "Felicia... Apes?"

She stuttered by the name and stopped while we exchanged glances. Her eyes widened in astonishment. "Cam?"

"You...." I frowned. "Knew me?"

--

We sat on the canteen table. There was a string of awkward silence. All I could hear was me stirring the coffee non-stop.

Then I let out a sigh and decided to start the conversation, "We heard that Grandpa sold the mansion to you. So we came here to find out why"

She nodded.

"Your grandpa... was a good man.", her eyes filled with admiration as she continued, "He didn't blame me and let me go when I needed to"

"Blame you... for what?" I grabbed my hands tightly in anticipation as I listened to her attentively.

She breathed in deeply. Her eyes turned to me, "Cam, I am your mother"

I shook my head in denial. Then, I let out a sarcastic chuckle at her words. I stood up, feeling pathetic to seat here and listen to this woman's nonsensical words. "You are my mother? My mother was drowned five years ago!"

Her apologetic eyes gave it away. Her tears rolled down from her cheek as she bit her lips. The despair drew on her face had proven me wrong. She was guilty!

"I-I..." Choked in her own tears, she caught her words at the edge of her tongue.

"You...what?" I frowned in anger. My finger pointed at the crying woman. "Because of you, I was humiliated. The magazines were everywhere. Headlines of my father messing with a mistress behind my mother's back. That kind of humiliation is unforgettable."

I panted heavily. Emotions were overwhelming. "The last thing I want to hear is you faking as my mother"

Felicia walked over, stopped me from leaving. "Cam, I am serious. And I am sorry. There are too many things that had happened and I don't know where to start with." She frowned as she held my hand tightly, "Your grandpa didn't want the mansion to land in the hands of the wrong people. I am just helping him to keep it safe from them"

I felt my anger diminished along the explanation, "Who are them? Why are you keeping it safe for him?"

Her downcast eyes led a tear rolled down from her cheek. "Cam, you had to stay away from the Nervadas. They are not who you think."

"You knew Nervadas?"

She nodded, "I will tell you the family drama some other time but... you have to listen to me, you need to stay away from these people."

"Explain why."

Felicia stared at me, "Because... they are the reason that killed your grandfather"

I rolled my eyes; "Obviously" I stood up, heading out of the room before she grabbed me on my arms.

"No, it's not that simple." She shook her head, "Listen. The person behind all this is not someone that you could mess with"

I turned to her as my eyes narrowed to her last sentence, "So who is that person?"

Felicia shut her eyes tightly as she loosens out the grip on my arms. "Just stop... investigating anymore." Then, she brushed past me and walked out of the room, leaving me dumbfounded.

"What happen?" Jack watched me as I walked out from the room.

I shook my head, unable to phrase any words. Then, I let out a long sigh while I turned to Jack, "I need a break"

Jack nodded, "Okay, we will take a break"

--

The weather was hot and humid. Orion had decided on an island as our vacation spot. This island was exclusively owned by the Ingle Nerva. We arrived after flying off on a private jet for eight hours. A hotel in her late thirties, hair tied up in a high bun smiled politely as us, "Good afternoon, welcome to Island Raoali"

I looked around the place as I found other people were on the island as well. "This is not private?"

Jack nodded, "It's an island for the VIPs. Only guests with invitations are allowed to this island"

The hotel manager continued on a short tour from the get off point that walked us to a swimming pool. Pebbles paved way brought us inside the main building where she led us to a corridor at the right turn after the receptionist counter. It was covered with Arabic finest expensive carpet. Every piece was handmade woven.

Then, she stopped in front of a door as she opened in to a suite. The suite consisted of a spacious living room. There was a mini bar by the side. A two door bath room stood in between the living room and bedroom. I stood at the entrance of the suite, wondering the awesomeness of spending some good time here. My eyes turned back to them, wondering how the other two suites would look like.

Then suddenly, Orion pushed me and Jack into the suite. She giggled as we stood dumbfounded at her sudden move.

She chuckled at our reactions, "Oh c'mon... I know something is going on between the two of you... It's a vacation! So loosen up!" She winked at me and disappeared from the room.

The awkward silence just made me getting nervous all over. Suddenly, Jack walked over and cupped my cheek. I held his glances intensively.

"She.... must be joking" I giggled in awkwardness.

Jack fidgeted himself. He looked around the surrounding before responding to me. "I will call for an extra bed to send in"

Then, Jack left the room. I watched his disappearance. Letting a sigh, my downcast eyes felt the invisible gap that stood between us. I can't blame him for that... because I was the one whom pushed him away...