Chapter 4

Loki's pov:

"You're getting the hang of this very well," Loki declared with a smile as I deflected another slice from his blade.

"Thanks," I replied, "could we take a short break bow?"

"Of course," Loki answered, taking our knives and putting them back in the box then sat down on the ground.

I plopped down to join him, "I must be getting better, I'm even making you tired," I teased, pushing him playfully, "I think I will have mastered the dagger soon."

"I agree," Loki replied, "you can defend brilliantly and defend very well."

I smiled, I was so glad I started training, it gave me a sense of purpose, made me feel safe to know how to defend myself and the exercise did me good. It had been just over two months since Loki and I met in the woods, and now we were pretty good friends. I learned that he was very a gentle and reserved person, had high moral standards and etiquette yet could be a heap of fun. I had gotten a pay rise recently - and I was more than happy for that, now I had more money saved - so I could train more often since I could afford a day off. Mother, sadly had grown weaker, and I did eventually tell her that I was taking classes of self-defence.

"So, what shall we do tomorrow after the lesson?" Loki asked.

"Oh that's right, my day off," I replied, "we should go sailing or to the markets, that's always fun."

Recently we had been spending a lot more time together as friends, than training, and more recently Loki had taught me to sail, he had a really nice boat and I guessed his parents were pretty rich.

"Put your hands up and don't move!" A loud voice yelled, breaking me out of my thoughts.

Six tall, muscular men stood opposite me and Loki, pointing knives at us, "stand up!" They yelled.

Loki pushed me behind him as we stood, held up his hands and spoke calmly, "what do you want?" He asked.

"Give us all your money!" The tallest - probably the leader yelled.

I looked at Loki and he nodded, so I took out the small amount of money I had and handed it to him. He added the few coins he had in his pocket and added them to the pile, then handed it to the man, who snatched it up greatly his dagger cutting the side of Loki's hand in the process.

Loki hissed and pressed his bleeding hand against his clothes, "are we done here?" He asked.

The men talked amongst themselves for a few moments before the leader spoke, "yeah you're done," he growled, then an evil smile spread over his face, exposing his rotten teeth, "but we want her."

I felt my stomach drop, and I grabbed the side of Loki's clothes trying to stay close to him and away from the man, "please no," I whispered.

The man walked over to me but Loki kept putting himself between us, "you will not harm her,' he stated firmly.

The man laughed, "and how do you plan on protecting her? He asked, then quickly grabbed my arm and wrenched me away.

"No!" I screamed, trying to free myself from his grip.

I kept my eyes on Loki and saw him suddenly pull out a knife from his clothes and stab it through one chest of the six men. I turned my head away at the sight, then glanced back to watch the action. I stood in awe as Loki took down the four remaining men, leaving just the leader. He looked frighted, and for a second I thought he might run away, but instead, he tightened his grip on my arm, spun me around and pressed a knife to my throat.