Chapter 8

Lilly's pov:

I woke up a few hours later to find it was night time, and it was cold; I sat up and looked over at Loki who was holding the prison bars of our cell looking out into nothing. When he saw I was awake he asked, "are you cold? The temperature is starting to drop, it's got to be at only a couple of degrees above zero."

I unconsciously shivered, "I'm freezing," I replied, wishing I wasn't wearing my thin dress with exposed arms.

Loki moved over to me and removed his leather chest covering he still had on from the practice fight of earlier and quietly placed it on the floor, as I watched a little confused. I felt so bad when he removed his green shirt letting the cold bight into his bare chest; he put the armour back on, hopefully, it provided a little warmth, then gently placed the warm fabric shirt around my shoulders, I didn't know what to say.

I felt so guilty, but he wanted to do that for me; once again hope welled up inside of me that he might love me in the way I loved him. I desperately hoped he did, he told me he loved me, but I wished for it to match the love that I felt for him.

Loki's pov:

I watch her expression as I wrap my shift around her shivering shoulders, she looks guilty; I wish she didn't feel so, I don't care for my own needs as long as she is safe, I hope she knows that. She is so beautiful even more on the inside than outwardly and I wish I was able to finish my conversation of yesterday, to tell her I am falling for her. I can't help it, ever since I saw her in the woods a year ago I thought she was an angel. I hoped with all my heart that maybe, one day, she would be my angel.

Lilly's pov:

I woke once more and was dismayed it was still dark, Loki's shirt was still wrapped around me, I pulled it tighter, trying to block out the merciless cold. Suddenly a guard stomped up to our cell and unlocked the door. My eyes darted over to Loki for reassurance of what to do, but he was looking at the guard.

"Boss wants to interrogate one of you," the guard stated bluntly, "which will it be?"

Loki immediately stood and answered, "I will go."

"No," I protested standing up, "take me."

"Nonsense," Loki replied sternly then turned to the guard, "pray forgive her, she is just a servant and has no knowledge of Asgard or it's defences, she would suit your boss ill."

I tried not to be angry as Loki said that, I knew he was only trying to protect me. The guard nodded and unlocked Loki's chains and roughly pushed him out of the cell; and realization of what was about to happen set in.

"No!" I yelled, "don't take him! Don't hurt him please!"

The guard paid no attention to me, but Loki met my eyes with a look that said, 'everything will be alright.'  I tried to believe that, but what I had learned about interrogations, had me scared to death for him.

~~~

I paced around the cell, dragging that stupid metal ball along for hours, I shivered from the cold wind that blew through the prison and felt tears well in my eyes, this was horrible and I felt hopeless, just waiting. I felt so alone, cold and sad; a few tears spilled down my cheeks as a bitter rage trickled into my heart until it spilled over and I kicked the metal ball and screamed.

I then leaned against the wall and sobbed, sliding down it I huddled in the corner of the room; I pulled Loki's shirt tighter around me and breathed in his scent; I hoped he was alright. Pulling my knees to my chest I sat, silently crying into my small source of warmth.

~~~

"Get in there! Don't think we'll give up, you'll tell us everything there is to know about Asgard's defences, even if we have to break every bone in your body!"

My eyes snapped open, and I saw the guard push Loki into the cell, chain him back up, then leave. I watched as Loki slid down the wall next to me and groaned in pain, he looked so exhausted. I studied his face and wrath welled up in me as I noticed a large bruise on his left cheekbone and another above his right eye. I was unsure whether to say something or stay silent, I felt so sorry for him, yet couldn't bring myself to speak.

I notice the guards had stripped him of his armour, Loki now wore a simple beige long-sleeved top and long black pants, I was glad they let him keep his boots, but he still had the hideous power dampener on his wrist; if he didn't we would have teleported out of this hell hole ages ago.

I finally plucked up the courage to ask, "are you alright?"

He sighed and turned to me, making me cringe at the sight of the bruises, "I'm alright," he answered, his voice breathy, "I didn't tell them anything."

He looked so weak, something so strange to see, I felt my bottom lip quiver, and a single tear fell.

Loki reached up and stroked my cheek, "Don't worry Lilly, I won't let them hurt you, they think your my maid, and the only reason they won't let you go is that you'll run get help. But I'm certain they won't interrogate you," Loki spoke softly.

I took his hand in mine, "I don't care if they do," I replied, more tears falling, "I hate seeing you like this."

He didn't reply, and instead sighed gently and dropped his gaze. Suddenly I had a feeling of such compassion and care for him, it felt like our roles had been reversed, seeing him hurt made me yearn to comfort him. I slowly reached out my free hand and brushed it over his hurt cheek, "my poor Loki," I whispered.

I realized how that may have come across and was about to correct myself when to my surprise, Loki turned slightly and rested his head on my shoulder. He reminded me of a little helpless boy, I reached up and gently stroked his hair. I didn't say anything, as there were no words needed; all I felt was love - and I could tell he felt it too, and knew I cared. I leaned my head against his and closed my eyes; I did not deserve such a selfless man in my life.