Chapter 23

So I just realised that there is a chapter missing in between this one and the last, I will try to upload it soon. If you want to read on the short of the last chapter is that Lilly joined the avengers and saw Loki in the glass cell and since she couldn't remember him, instead she felt strange along with hearing a voice in her head, but the two didn't talk.

Lilly's pov:

I slept in the next morning; my breakfast was pretty pathetic, and the rest of the morning I spent in the training room hitting the life out of a heavy punching bag. I was trying to get that voice from yesterday out of my head, but I couldn't, it was like however hard I pushed it away, the harder and clearer it sprang back - just like the bag. What had this prisoner done to me? Nat said he was called the master of magic, maybe he was playing a trick on me, trying to intercept the Avengers team by picking them off, one by one, starting with me.

Lunchtime came and went, Tony made some stupid, not even funny, comments and threw in a couple of rude jokes about Captain America, along with trying to get Bruce to turn into the Hulk. After lunch, I took a shower and discided to work some more on making this voice disappear; I wracked my brain to try and figure out when I had heard it and who said it. But that was the problem - I had never heard it, and I wasn't sure if it was even meant for me or not.

I slammed my fist into the table, then flicked my hand, trying to rid the pain, "you idiot," I whispered to myself - that hurt more than expected. I was so mad, and the image of that cocky prisoner stuck in my mind wasn't helping either; neither was knowing he was literally one flight of stairs away from me.

"Fine," I spoke out loud, pursed my lips and marched out of the room, loudly stomping down the stairs, grateful the rest of the team were busy elsewhere. I walked right up to the cage and banged on the glass loudly, "hey!" I yelled, making the inhabitant jump and turn to face me, "what have you done?!"

His shocked expression changed to one of confusion, "what are you talking about?" He asked, "do you not know how happy I am to see you? Why are you angry with me angel?"

"What the hell?" I whispered, "I'm so confused, why on earth would you call me that? I am angry because it was you that killed over eighty people in two days! And why are you happy to see me?"

"Did only four years change your heart?" He answered solemnly, "you're so different, I missed you, Lilly, I'm glad to see you're safe."

I stumbled back a few steps, "h-how do you know my name?" I stammered, "and what do you mean you missed me? I've never met you before in my life!"

The prisoner sighed and closed his eyes for a moment, "you don't remember me do you, Lilly?" He asked, "Thor must have wiped your memory - that witless oaf!"

I started to become shaky, "he did not!" I replied, "I've never met you before. I don't know who you are, I didn't even know Thor had a brother! And don't you tell me what happened in my life! You don't know a thing about me!"

"Lilly," he started, "Listen to me; your name is Lilly Elizabeth Lyre. You used to live on Asgard with your Mother, who was ill. You came to the woods every day for rest after working as a housekeeper to pay for your Mother's medication."

I took a shaky breath and slowly shook my head, "how do you know all that?" I whispered.

He looked intensely at me, "because I know you Lilly; better than you realize," he answered in a chilling, slow voice, "and one day, you will remember everything."

I drew in another shaky breath and stated, "I don't believe you. Natasha said you were a worker of magic and couldn't be trusted, you're messing with me. I don't know how you know these things, but don't think for a second that I will fall for your little scheme!"

"With all respect, agent Romanoff doesn't know a thing about me," he replied, "but you do - or you will, once you remember."

"And who are you?" I asked.

"I am Loki, of Asgard," he replied in that deep, slow voice that made me tremble. I shook my head as bright lights appeared, blurring my vision, then the nightmare flashed before me and the voice came - 'you know I love you right?'

"Stop!" I screamed and my vision cleared a little, I looked up at Loki, "stop it with your magic tricks!"

"That's no trick Lilly," he replied softly, "I'm not doing anything to you I sware."

Suddenly I felt fearful, "t-then what is all this?" I stammered as my vision slowly returned to normal.

Loki met my eyes with a serious look, "a memory," he replied.

"A memory of what?!" I asked desperately, "I don't understand, if Thor did wipe my memory, why am I remembering?"

"Sometimes," Loki began, "if the memory that was wiped, was of a person, so significant in the other's life, she will still have faint memories of them. If that person was linked to a chain of memories, some important and life-changing, she will still remember. The effects are reversible; the only time they are not is if the Allfather performs the erase."

In some strange way, I almost wanted to believe him out of curiosity, if he was right, who was he to me?

'What in the 9 realms is wrong with me?!'  I thought, 'I am an Avenger, yet here I am talking to our prisoner, hanging on his every word - words that I know could very well be a lie.'

One rule that I knew very well was that it doesn't matter if someone can tell everything about your life, or what you've done and who you are, that is now proof that you can trust them - if anything, it's proof to be wary. And I was weary, but I didn't want to decide not to believe just because he freaked me out, I would think this over more first.

"Lilly," Loki stated, snapping me out of my thoughts, "come nearer to the glass."

Dumbly, I obeyed, stepping closer, "do you remember anything?" He asked, his smooth, deep voice sending shivers down my spine.

"Nothing that involves you," I replied, "perhaps, something- a voice maybe."

He stepped closer to the glass, then placed his hand flat against it, I slowly reached out my own hand and placed it on the glass against his. Loki's eyes met mine, it was if he could look into my soul, even so, he looked at me kindly, honestly - and  I could tell whatever he was going to say next would be the truth.

With his voice soft, he stated, "remember me Lilly; remember me."

I squeezed my eyes shut and wracked my brain for something - anything, but nothing came, apart from that annoying voice that had been bugging me all day. "I - I can't think, I can't remember, something's blocking it."

"Lilly!" Natasha yelled from behind, storming over to me, "get away from him!" She grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the glass; glaring angrily at Loki she asked, "what did you tell her?! What lies?!"

"Ehehehehehe," Loki chuckled, "very protective of her aren't you agent Romanoff; don't worry, I didn't harm her."

"Not physically since you're in a cage," Natasha snapped, "but mentally you did - you have her under some sort of spell don't you?!"

"No spell, I promise," Loki answered.

"Yeah, coming from the god of lies excuse me if that's a little hard to believe," Natasha growled.

Loki sighed, "I regret I have earned that title, it's the god of mischief, but never lies."

Natasha scowled at him, "what. did. you. do?" She asked slowly.

"Don't fret," Loki replied, then turned to me with a smirk, "I didn't tell her anything she doesn't already know."

Natasha pulled me away, "come on Lilly," she ordered, "I told you to stay away from him, he messes with peoples minds; he's the type of person who makes you think they're on your side then stabs you in the back - don't believe a word he says."

As Natasha pulled me along, away from the cage, I looked back at Loki and saw he was still wearing that mischievous smirk. Turning back to Natasha, "you're right," I stated firmly, "he's a master of magic, and he's messing with me; I was undecided until now, but I've made up my mind. He's all lies."