Chapter 57

"C'mon, let's eat first."

Shang started pushing me toward the doorway. Dahil gutom na rin naman ako ay nagpatulak na rin ako. We were discussing about the company history and how it runs. It might seem unnecessary, but he said I should give attention to these stuff since I would be sitting at the top someday.

"Wow," he said in awe. "How do you even fit all those food in your stomach?"

I glared at him in return. "Shut up and eat, old man."

"You know what, you should really stop calling me that," he complained. "I'm 23, for god's sake."

"You're turning 24 in a few days, right?" I shuddered. "Old man, it is."

"I'm gonna call you an old hag when you turn 20," he muttered.

"Okay, grandpa."

His frustrated face made me smirk. Shang was really fun to tease.

It's been five months since I got here. Everything was chaotic at first but I managed to adapt gradually.

As promised, after attending a bunch of special classes during my first week here, Dad got me enrolled in National University of Singapore to finish my Bachelor's degree. Since I left before my last semester in my previous university, I had to finish it here. Fortunately, NUS credited my units from my previous university since it was affiliated with them and they've been sending students before for their foreign exchange programs. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, major in Management.

It was really a tough semester. I had to catch up with everything and I needed to work harder because it was the top university when it comes to business courses. I didn't want to fail, and most importantly, I didn't want to disappoint Dad.

For the last five months, I wasn't able to rest. It was hard and exhausting, but for the first time, I liked what I was doing. Studying had always been an obligation for me, but when I finally realized what I wanted to do in the future, it changed my perspective. This time, I'm studying because I want to understand the world and the path I will be walking on soon.

"You have an email."

Shang's words brought me back to the present. I glanced at my phone and saw the familiar email address. My heart thumped nervously and I immediately read the message.

From: Dr. Zara Wina <zarawina@nus.edu.sg>

To: Chloe Esguerra <chloeesguerra@nus.edu.sg>

Greetings!

We are pleased to inform you that your GMAT scores are eligible for the Master's program in Business Administration. However, you are required to have a minimum of two years of post-university full-time work experience.

Halos mapangiti ako nang mabasa ko ang unang part ng email. I heaved a sigh of relief when I learned that I passed the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) since I applied for their Master's program, but I didn't know I have to have a work experience, too.

Tiningnan ko nang masama si Shang.

"You didn't tell me about the work experience as one of the requirements."

"Oh, sorry. I didn't know. I mean, I thought—"

"Now I have to wait for two more years to be eligible," I said while rolling my eyes.

After naming kumain ay bumalik ako sa office niya habang siya naman ay dumiretso sa meeting nila. I slumped onto the couch, rested my head and closed my eyes. Memories from home came rushing in and I had to epen my eyes or else, I'd be overwhelmed again.