A Growing Friendship

Their eyes meet for a split second before the smaller figure rushes to hide behind a building. But Jack's already seen her, and he rounds the corner to catch up with her. He finds the ragdoll leaning against the wall, playing with her hair and jumping in surprise once he's standing in front of her. He finds this charming - surely she saw him as well?

"Hello there," He greets, his tone warm.

"Hi..."

She attempts to be interested in the dead tree beside her. He feels like he's being ignored. But then he sees her hands climb up to her hair and curl the yarn strands within her finger. He realizes he's mistaken. He thinks of what to say to Sally. His mind has been so jumbled with Halloween planning that he almost forgot how to greet a friend. He scolds himself for being so busy and doesn't notice the curious look in her eyes as she observes him.

"I was going to the Graveyard, just now." He tugs at his collar. "Would you like to join me?"

He feels something harden in his bones as she grimaces, but notices she's not looking in his direction. Before he can turn his skull to see what she's looking at, she jumps to her feet and nods enthusiastically, starting to walk down the path before he does. He follows after and offers an apologetic smile, rubbing the back of his head as they enter the Outskirts.

---------------------------

On their way to the Graveyard, he feels an ache in his spine. He attempts to crack it but comes to no avail. He stretches uncomfortably until he hears a pop and sighs in relief. He finds her stare on him and realizes she's been watching the whole time. He grins in embarrassment as he returns to his previous position, holding his arms behind his back in a more dignified manner.

As her eyes travel over his thin frame, Sally notices something. His limbs move freely and quickly. He always appears balanced. Like the complete opposite of her. Just watching him stretch intrigues her. He positions his body in a way she hadn't thought possible. She takes a good look at his chest, her cheeks growing hotter the longer she stares. When his gaze meets hers again, she can't find the courage to tear her eyes away.

"You're flexible," She comments, letting a breath out.

"Oh! I've been told that before." His slides his palm on the side of his skull. "Someone told me I reminded them of a spider."

"A spider?"

He notices her fascination. "It's because I can move like this."

For demonstration, he ducks forward and rests his palms against the ground, moving the rest of his body in a second until it sinks down, then moves his knees so they make contact on the floor. Then he sprawls himself for a moment, a stance mimicking a spider, before he flips forward and brings himself back to his feet. When he looks, he finds her with amazed eyes and a mesmerized smile. It fuels his confidence.

"That was..." Her hand hovers in the air for a moment. "Just like a spider!"

He chuckles. "I'm glad you think so. It's one of the things that makes me a showman."

They arrive at the Graveyard's gates before anything more can be exchanged. He holds it open and motions for her to come in first. She shyly takes a step forward, passing him a smile, before arriving inside. He shuts the gates behind him and inhales deeply, already getting comfortable in its peaceful aura.

"The fog is wonderfully thick this time of year, don't you think?"

She looks around and sniffs for herself, smelling the bits of bones Finklestein has stashed in his laboratory. She can barely make out the graves and pumpkins from this angle.