8

You’re disappearing,
more and more, without a sound
from me, without any reason

Was everything a misunderstanding?
Were we looking at each other in a dream?

I need somebody// Day6

.

16th February 1951
Border between
North and South Korea

THE TRENCH was never a good and lovely place, but in the last few days things seem to get tougher for the South Korean army, as the number of injured soldiers blew up uncontrollably and the deaths increased.
A situation of disadvantage for the nation, who kept sending its sons to go and protect her gates, but would never have the chance to welcome them back.

Pity and just pity are the emotions I feel for those people, hurt both physically and mentally: imagine their psyche being triggered day after day, week after week, their perception of life and survival subjected to a great damage.

A big circus of inhuman conditions orchestrated by people who didn't know what ”sacrifice” actually meant, for they always used citizens as a protective shield.

Crouched down behind a small hill of soil, were Taeyong and Jaehyun, who anxious and full of fear, tried to analyze the scenario surrounding them with rationality and cold blood.

Their eyes flickered every time they witnessed a bomb exploding, their ears instinctively covered by trembling hands, while their mind went blank — several negative, yet realistic thoughts filling their conscience.

«We have to find a way to attack them without us being affected!»

Taeyong shouted at his fellow, hoping to be heard in the midst of that atrocious confusion.

The younger quickly nodded, moving his attention back to the deadly sight.
After making up their minds, the two males got out of their temporary hidden place and ran as fast as they could to another location, while holding tight their rifles.

Few moments filled with the loud sound of their boots walking on the uncertain path of salvation, the palpitant heartbeat of two young souls who desperately craved for life and with silent tears, hidden because of shame or because of a useless fragile masculinity.

More steps were made and the very end of the border looked scarier than it already was. The diverse uniforms of the enemies were now more than visible, their familiar language more audible and the desire of winning the war fully displayed in their eyes insanely spine-chilling.

None of the different sets of stacks seemed like a place secure enough: all you needed in that moment was just luck, nothing else.

«Let's separate ways from now on,
it'll be easier...!»

Taeyong suggested, patting the other one's shoulder, when he noticed that the idea of parting ways wasn't well welcomed by him.

The older then mouthed a low ”It's okay, we'll be fine”, before disappearing behind the dust created by the fierce of the bombs.

Jaehyun stared at the figure of his mate getting farther and farther away, before bringing his attention back to the enemies. Cautiously observing their actions, he tried to study their moves in order to know when to attack or to place an effective trap.

Tiptoeing to the other side of the mountain of stacks, the young man placed his hand on his helmet — as if that would actually protect him from any harm and then stopped on his track, turning around with a swift move and opened the fire towards the opponents.