Thirty-Five

Nathan

"Seryoso ka ba? Aalis ka?! You don't even know half of the story! You don't know my story! Why are you, why are you leaving?!"

No... please don't do this.

"Do you even love me? Did you love me? Or were you just too caught up in the moment?! IS THAT IT?!"

Never, mahal na mahal kita. I could never do that to you.

"We're married. We swore an oath to God that we would love each other in sickness and in health---

"You know how easy it is to lie nowadays?"

"I love you. I am so in love with you, I love you so much I think I'm gonna go crazy."

"I don't know what to believe anymore."

"Believe me. You have to believe me."

"I can't."

Please, believe me. I love you.

"I am begging you. I'm begging you. Please, please don't go. I didn't do anything, you have to believe me. I'll die, I'll die without you."

"You already killed me. We're even."

"Andrea, no!!!"

...

"F*CK!!!"

I tug on my hair as beads of sweat dripped from my forehead. Ano bang nangyayari sa akin? For the past few nights I've been having the same vivid dreams. Dreams of Andrea leaving me, yet again.

I can no longer imagine what life would be like without her presence, without her silliness, without her care, without her love.

Each day that passes by, I get weaker and weaker. I have no idea where she is and how she's doing. Who she's with or if she's being treated well.

And then there's our son, we promised him that he would be safe with us, but he's disappeared as well.

"I know you hate me, but do you really have to do this? You don't play fair. Akala ko ba okay na tayo, akala ko ba napatawad mo na ako. Bakit ba ganito ka sa akin? Was I really that bad? If you really hate me that much, I understand, hate me all you want. F*ck me over, do everything to ruin me, but please, please don't hurt those that I love. Ako na lang, ako nalang saktan mo. Huwag si Andrea, huwag si Lucas. Ako nalang."

Para akong tanga na nakatunganga sa harap ng altar sa bahay. Nagmamakaawa na ibalik na sila sa akin.

Ang sakit na, ang sakit sakit na. Pero kahit ganito, lalaban pa rin ako. Kailangan 'kong lumaban in order to save my relationship and my family.

But...

just when I was about to head back to my room, I hear a familiar voice softly call out my name and immediately I felt some weight on my shoulders lifted off,

"Daddy?"

My brother was holding my son in his arms.