Chapter 49

A week later...

"Isabel? You need to eat."

I sighed, pulling the covers over my head. "I ate earlier." Why couldn't they just leave us alone?

"Because they're worried about you."

"But I told them I'm fine."

"You're not fine Isabel, w-we lost a baby." I moaned in agony as she reminded me of my failure. I lost my baby, because I was weak. I couldn't defeat my father and I lost my baby.

The bed dipped as he sat on it. "Ares said you didn't."

"Well he's lying, and I don't need you to keep sending people to check on me." I didn't deserve to be cared for. Why should anyone care for me when I didn't care enough for my baby?

"You didn't know." I shook my head, that's no excuse.

"Do I need to force feed you?" I kicked my leg out, hoping to hit him. "that's childish Isabel."

"Then go away."

"Don't push him away."

"Whose side are you on?" I asked her.

"Since I'm part of you I have no choice but to be on your side." She laughed. Ever since the fight with my father the phoenix has been talking to me more. She's the only person I've been wanting to talk to. The only one who understands my pain. She lost a child too.

I felt a tug on my cover. I gripped the end holding it in a tight grasp. "You know if I wanted the cover off it'll be off." He threatened.

"You know if I wanted you gone, I'd blast you out of the room?"

"So you do want me here?" I could hear the smugness in his voice. That back fired. There was shifting, then suddenly I felt a breeze on my back, before warmth enveloped me. "Xavier is worried about you." He mumbled into my neck, wrapping an arm around me. He tightened his hold on my stomach, pulling me back into him. I sighed, relaxing at the comfort and security he offered.

"I'm scared to talk to him. What do I tell him? thanks for saving me but sorry I couldn't save your sibling." I felt the stinging behind my eyes that I've been feeling all week. I haven't run out of tears yet?

"You tell him what's in your heart. He just wants his mom." He brought his hand up, dragging a finger across my cheek. Wiping away a loose tear. "and I just want my Isabel back."

"Why don't you hate me?"

"Why would I hate you? I could never hate you, even when you were in love with my brother."

I turned around so I could face him, he smiled at me. Who knew the devil had a soft spot? And it was reserved only for me. "I-it was yours too."

"We have nothing but time to make more." He winked at me. I rolled my eyes at his pervertedness. He grabbed the cover that slipped from over my head, pulling it up to cover both of us. Blanketing us in darkness. "Did I ever tell you about Natalie?"

"You never tell me anything."

"Well Natalie was our first daughter, our second child when we first met. She was a wild fire, much like you," I smiled as I tried to picture her. "when she was twelve, she was diagnosed with cancer, a few weeks later we lost her."

"Is this supposed to make me feel better?" I sniffed.

"The second life we met, our second child Dylan died in a car crash at age eighteen."

I pushed at his chest. "Now you're just making me even more depressed."

"I'm trying to show you, this is just a repeat of history," he ran a finger down the side of my face. "and every time you were strong enough to get over it. I need you to be strong now. I've let you mourn enough, but the time for mourning is over now. Your parents have been defeated, you finally have freedom to live your life."