Part 28

Henry has grabbed Ted's hand. Ted was terrified. Utterly terrified. He's already lost...

He can't do it again. He can't.
Emma was at the door when they had gotten there. Ted didn't know Emma well enough to know how he'd react. Probably not well.
"Oh hey guys!" She sounded cheerful. It can only go downhill from here!
"We need to have a conversation. Is paul home?" Henry's voice was very serious. Ted didn't like it. He knew Henry was scared. He shouldn't have to keep his composure.
"Yeah he is... oh shit I forgot about that." Emma stopped smiling. She must know something already. "Is it serious?"
"Yes." Henry nodded. Ted really just wanted Henry to be happy. He may be keeping serious but Ted really knew he was terrified. Ted just wanted to comfort him.
Emma led them up to the apartment. Paul was sitting on the couch when they got there.
"Oh hey what's up?" Paul alwaysknew when there was something was up. "What's wrong?" Ted knew this was going to be really difficult for Paul. Paul had Emma though. Ted knew that Paul would not be alive right now if he didn't have Emma.
"There's something we need to tell you." Henry took a breath. He sounded shaky. Ted wanted to comfort him but he really didn't know how.
"Ok." Emma and paul sat there nervously.
Ted could sense Henry's fear. All Ted could think to do was squeeze his hand. To remind Henry that he's here and he's not leaving.
"I was watching the news this morning and they mentioned what happened four months ago." Henry's voice was a little shaky. "I'm going to cut to the chase. They said that music can be heard coming from the island." Henry took a pause. "I think that they've gotten to PEIP." Henry seemed ok.
Ted redirected his attention to paul and Emma. The look on their faces looked almost exactly how it did that day. The look of terror.
"WHAT. HENRY YOU CAN'T BE FUCKING SERIOUS." Oh wow. Ted had not been expecting that. Paul had always described Emma as like a composed rock.
"I'm afraid I am." Henry shouldn't have to be the one to tell them. He's just is the best one to tell him. He's smart and paul and Emma trust him.
Oh god the look on Paul's face. Ted hadn't seen him look like that in a couple months. This is definitely gonna fuck with his recovery.
"They can't be back. They can't be!" Paul wrapped his arms around her protectively. Emma calmed down a little bit. They were good for each other.
"What do we do?" Paul's voice was calm. Probably to keep Emma from freaking out knowing Paul.
"We could try to contact PEIP." Ted didn't really feel confident in that solution. PEIP would keep things from them if they asked. Maybe they could get something.
"I suggest we call instead of meet in person, for," Henry hesitated. "obvious reasons." Ted realized why Henry hesitated. God this is torture. He just wanted to be happy with everyone.
"Oh we have there phone number somewhere." Paul was playing calm very well.
"It's in the bed side table drawer." Paul went off to get the card. Emma looked lost in thought.
Ted wanted to take Henry into his arms and hold him until he wasn't scared anymore. But that wasn't really a thing he could do in his best friend's apartment, in front of his best friend's girlfriend, who's having a panic attack.
"How are you holding up?" Ted put his hand on Henry's shoulder.
"I'm ok." Henry picked up Ted's hand and kissed it. God Ted just loved him so much. Ted knew he was lying.
"Good." Ted smiled at Henry to make him feel better. Henry smiled back.
Paul got back from there room with the card. Paul sat back down next to Emma.
"Do we call them now?" Emma asked nervously.
They should probably ask now but that's fucking terrifying.
"I-I don't know." Ted knew that Henry would have a plan of some kind.
"There's no time like the present." That's exactly the answer Ted was fearing. They're doing this today. Ahhhhh
"Who's phone do we use?" Emma's really just throwing out all of the heavy hitters here isn't she.
"Well in theory PEIP can track our location from the call. So we should not use one of our cellphones. Perhaps a landline." Oh that's smart. Not as easily tracked. Lead them away from where everyone is.
"We could use the phone in the train station." Paul suggested. 
But the train station is too close to this apartment and to Henry's apartment. They might be able to find them.
"Not the station at the corner. Two stops down, away from all of our apartments." Ted knew to be cautious. This is a really serious thing and he didn't want anyone to get hurt. Ted believed they were right and PEIP had fallen. Ted didn't doubt at all at this point. And if Henry or paul or Emma got infected because they tracked their location through the phone, Ted would never fucking forgive himself.
"Right that makes sense." Paul nodded, "let's go."
Now. They're doing it now. They're going to call into a government office that has infected fucking scum inside.
Ted squeezed Henry's hand again. He loved Henry so much. Ted couldn't handle it if he... no don't think like that. Everything will be fine.

They had taken the train to the station. They were far enough from everyone's apartment for Ted to feel a little more at ease.
"Who's going to make the call?" Ted realized they hadn't decided that yet. Emma and Paul looked to Henry. Of course. Oh but Henry shouldn't have to. She'll not be ok. "You don't have to if you don't want to." Ted would do it. He can stand it.
"It's fine. I can do this." Henry would do it better though. He stepped into the booth. Henry looked so scared. Ted wished he went in there instead.
Henry picked up the phone. Henry has left the door open to the booth. Ted could kind of hear the phone ringing. Henry hung up the phone. He looked up at Ted. He didn't have to say it. Everyone knew there was no response.
"Fuck." Emma was right. This is fucked, they're fucked. If PEIP had been infected they wouldn't have someone manning the fucking phones.
"There wasn't like a voicemail thing or anything." It's a professional place. They would have an automatic answering thing, right?
Henry shook his head.
"Did you dial it wrong?" Paul suggested shakily. Paul was falling apart. Ted knew he was trying to stay strong but he's only human.
"Perhaps. I'll try again." Henry had to do it again. Ted wanted to take his place but Henry was already back in the booth.
Ted could Here the phone ring, barely. It stopped ringing. Oh god. It stopped ringing. Ted could Here murmuring coming from the other line.
He couldn't see Henry's face but he was shaking. Fuck no. No no no no no no. Nononononono.
""How do you kn-" Henry was cut of by the voice on the other line. If only Ted could make out what they were saying. Oh god they were right.
"How?" Henry's voice cracked. Henry shouldn't be the one to have done this. It's not good for him. Then again none of them would be ok while going though that.
Henry dropped the phone. He sank to the floor. His whole body was shaking. Ted went to the floor to comfort him.
"Henry what's wrong?" Ted knew what was wrong. He knew it.
"They're on their way, Theodore. They're going to get off the island." Henry stares Ted in the eye. Henry was crying. This was so much worse than before. Ted couldn't do anything to help Henry here.
Not just Henry but Ted couldn't do anything to help anyone. The world is doomed and Ted, one of the only fucking people aware of the situation, couldn't do anything to stop it.

~~~
I have some decisions to make.