Prologue

POV Jack

It is time, Jack,” I heard Manny telling me when my staff touched to a building wall. The frost twirled up in rosy pattern. My eyes start watering and I wipe my face to my sleeve. I know what he means and I look up. The night sky is clear and stars are twinkling. Why now?

I sigh as I take out a snowglobe from my hoodie’s pocket. “To Arendelle,” I whisper and drop it down. I step through the portal and my shoulders shake. Not now, not ever I wanted this moment to come. She told me, all the the years, that it would come. She would grow to be weak, her face would wrinkle and her beauty wear off. For me, it was never the case.

The room where the portal took me was dark, only moon lit it by casting its glow. Manny was here with me. I place my staff to ground and slowly I walk to a bed. It still looks the same as I did it 60 years ago. “Hey Starshine,” I sit on the bed and my hand touches her cheek.

Her eyes look at me, still shining like stars and icy blue. I smile to her and her hand touches mine. “You kept your promise Jack,” she whispers and tears fall on her cheek. I bite my lower lip and try to hold on to my tears, slowly I nod to her. “You loved me, even though I became ugly and old,” she laughed a bit. I shook my head, “No! Elsa! You are always beautiful.”

Elsa petted my cheek and then she took my hand which she made into a cup. “Jack,” she whispered calmly and I nodded. Then she dropped something to my hands, it was the locket with blue sapphire and snowflake pattern that I gave for her birthday years ago. “Why?” I said and she told me to hush. “You should give the Winter’s heart to someone else now. I can’t keep it all to myself,” she whispered and looks at me. “B-but,” I say sadly while looking at the locket. “No buts Jack,” she laughed a little and I swallowed the lumpy feeling while I put the locket inside of my hoodie’s pocket.

A faint smile comes to Elsa’s face and her eyelids start to close slowly. “I am sorry,” she whispers. “I don’t want to leave you,” she tried to swallow her tears away. I gently kiss her forehead, “Don’t worry about me.” She squeezes my hand tightly and sheds a few tears. “Jack, this moon is losing its brightness and the star isn’t guiding your path anymore. Now it is the time for saying goodbyes,” she whispers and I tell her to rest.

I lift her head on my lap, she still wears her hair in French braid which has now silver white tone. I sing her a lullaby (A/N: While the World Let Go by A Rocket to the Moon) and pet her hair. She sings with me but soon, I notice that I am singing by myself. My shoulders start shaking uncontrollably and I sing while my voice is cracking. I stay silent after the song, gritting my teeth together and my eyes shut. I bury my face on her hair and I start to cry. Her hand has loosened its grip a while ago. I lost her, she is gone.

I knew that this day would come, I would cherish her in my mind forever. Little did I know how it feels like when it actually happens. Being a guardian, losing people around you while you live? Last year Emma died to old age, now it was Elsa’s turn. Why? Sometimes I hope that I wouldn’t need to experience pain like this.

Slowly I embrace Elsa. She was sometimes so insecure about herself, she wondered if I would stay with her when she ages. I promised her to be with her, always, until the day she dies. Then I would be with her, sing her to sleep. Now I have done it, I feel so empty inside.

I wipe away my tears when I hear steps behind of the door. Gently I lay Elsa back down and I stood up, backing up towards window. “Queen Elsa?” A maid knocks the door and steps in. She runs past me to my wife’s lifeless body and gasps. I try to swallow the lumpy feeling when the maid runs downstairs to get help.

I go to bed again and I look at Elsa, her expression is calm and I smile. She is at peace. People arrive to room and I see the King of Arendelle. “P-please, leave,” the King tells to maid and sits next to Arendelle’s lost Queen.

The King looks at me, “Dad, I am sorry.” I smile faintly to my son who is in his 60’s now. “Don’t worry about me,” I whisper and mess his hair. He sheds few tears and looks at his mother. “Why didn’t Manny let you two be together? Mum should have had happiness after all,” Matthew said sadly and my jaw dropped.

“Hey, she was happy,” I whisper. “She was happy to have a family,” I smile to Matthew. He creates two snowflakes which float in the air. Then they hit to each other and form an ice crystal in the shape of heart. I look at it and then at Matthew.

“I would have wanted to see mum with you, dad, you were there but she had to be a widow all her life after you became Guardian again,” Matthew smiled faintly and I look at Elsa. He was right. I left her alone even though I was supposed to be there.

After Elsa’s funeral my life was all about creating snow and ice, bringing winter to the world. Creating fun wasn’t easy. The years went by and I started to isolate myself from other Guardians. What would they think to see me doing a lousy job?

I even had to witness my children being buried. I witnessed how all the people close to me left this life. Anna, Kristoff and their children, my sister, my children,  my children’s children. And Elsa, she left me. Misery and mourning were pressing down my faith in life.  At first my grandkids believed in me but when they grew older they overgrow from their believe. It made my heart ache.

I am flying in the kingdom of Arendelle, 100 years from the day when I had to sing my wife her last lullaby. It is winter season and I am freezing the pond. It is the same one where I met her first time. After freezing it I decide to stay there for a while and I fly to a tree.

My eyes close and I let myself to dream. Darkness filled my mind as it has done lately. ‘No one will believe in you.. You will be gone.. Everyone close to you leaves you, dies around you… How does it feel to be alone?’ It was like an echo in my mind. Then black smoke covered me and I felt like air had been suck out from my lungs. Sharp slashes were hitting on me.

The nightmares haunted me again. I woke up panting and I look to hoodie. It was torn up and I had sweat covering my body. I peek inside from one of the holes in my hoodie and I touch my skin. It stings and I lift my hoodie up. I have multiple cuts on my skin.

“Mmmh..,” I grunted when I stood up and jumped down from the tree branch. The air helped me float down.  Slowly I walk to frozen pond and I look at its surface. I stare at my faces reflection and I lift the hood off from my head. “No..there is  another one,” I whispered and I lift a hair strand on my forehead. This is the second time when having a nightmare and my body ended up being hurt,  like on that time from before. I had one of my hair strands turn to black, there is now a narrow black stripe over my forehead.

Quickly I lift the hood back up. I sigh and look up towards the moon. “Manny? What is going on?” I pleaded for answers but got nothing. I need to know, I need to find out. What is wrong with me?

A/N:

Here you go, My Snow Storm. A Prologue for  you!

Will there be happiness after all the sadness? Your thoughts?