2 The Moon Cave

(POV third person)

The moon was lightening a single cave in the land of eternal frost and ice. This night was no different, she was dancing on the place called Moon lake. The Moon lake was a place of magic where the moon shone during nights from a whole on the caves ceiling. The cave itself had walls covered with shining ice and frost roses.

When the wind blew through the cave it made the ice spikes hanging from the ceiling jingle like sweetest music. That was the music which she used for her dance, every night. The starry sky made the clear blue water shine like diamonds. Each step of hers made the water freeze beneath her feet.

No mere mortal has never found the place of mystery, the place of legends. Neither do the Guardians or other fairy tale characters have ever found the source of all the Moon’s magic, the home of the Maiden of the Moon.

Maiden of the Moon has been living in the cave as long as she can remember, her only friends are the winter fairies, creatures similar to Tooth fairy’s little fairies but also different. These little fairies were once created by the Spirit of Winter, before the time of Jack Frost. Their nature was mischievous and playful, much similar to the man who later became the Spirit of Winter, Jack Frost.

Maiden,” a dreamlike voice calls from the Maiden who wishes her fairy friends good evening. “Yes Manny?” The Maiden smiles and looks up towards the moon. “Time for your last visit to him,” Moon whispers and the Maiden nods.

The Maiden knew what Manny was speaking of. Each night she visited a certain person’s dreams. She had done it ever since he lost hope as a boy, now he was a young man. The Maiden was there to guide and protect the dreams of the strongest. Normally she guarded the dreams of the Guardians but this person was an exception, Manny told her that he had something in him.

When the Maiden waved her hand in the air a bed of snow appeared. She was the daughter of the Moon, a child of Winter. She placed herself on the bed and started to dream. She could dream through time and space, now she was searching for specific dream and she found it.

“Where are you!” Someone was already yelling and now she walked steadily forward, staying in the shadows that the moon like light did. “I am here,” she whispered gently and someone was running forward. “Don’t exhaust yourself,” she laughed as the young man rushed towards her. He laughed, “I thought that you would not show up!”

“That is close enough,” the Maiden’s gentle voice spoke. The guy sat on the floor and chuckled. “I missed you,” the guy spoke and swayed himself to lay on the floor. “What should I dream of today?” He smiled and was glancing at the Maiden. He had never saw her but he could just imagine her smiling right now.

“You’re quiet today?” The guy laughed warmly and ruffled his messy brown hair. “I am sorry, you know that tomorrow is your 18th birthday,” the Maiden said with a trace sadness on her voice. “I know, so let’s make this night worth remembering,” then the boy closed his hazelnut brown eyes and hummed a tone.

“What is that song?” The Maiden asked. “You sang that to me, on the first night when you came to my dream. When I was having nightmare on my first night ever in the hospital. Don’t you remember?” He sit and looked towards the shadows. He wished that she would show herself.

“Could you sing it tonight?” He asked and his eyes were shining from excitement. The Maiden laughed, “If you really want that.” The brown haired young man nodded. Then she started to sing of how it feels to let go, when you don’t have to think what everyone else thinks.

They stayed in silence for a while after. “I know the dream I would like to have,” the guy suddenly whispered. “What would that be?” The Maiden smiled and looked at the excited young man. She had known him for years now. He was scared before, scared of death. Now he knew that he could live fully as long as possible. Joy was filling her heart.