8 Rabbit Hole

POV Jack

Whispers, that’s all I can hear while I’m sitting on a gigantic head made from rock. They’re having some sort of intervention meeting. About me, yeah. I’m a screw up right now. My fingers are twitching eagerly around my wooden staff while I wait. At some points they even argue and once in a while one of them glances at me and I do a fake smile as a respond.

Who am I talking about? Well, about the guardians of course. Only one silent is her, the Protector of them all who is also known as the Maiden of the Moon. Actually is kind of funny, in it’s sad and twisted way. Funny because of why? Well, let me tell you. Maiden of the Moon is actually my first crush who looks like my late wife and my head is now all messed up because of that fact.

I mean, heck. She was always there in my childhood, in my dreams, telling me that everything is going to be alright and better. How I should aim towards my deepest wishes and never give up. She gave me courage and guided me through my nightmares. I developed feelings towards her and then I saw her, only once before it was my 18th birthday. Then she vanished, puff, just like that and I was alone. I forgot how she looked like, haha, actually I forgot everything when I helped out a little girl. She was the girl that I fell deeply in love with when she grew up. Then I married her, ended up with kids and was it happily ever after? Nah, she died of old age. Did I mention that I died too? Well, now I did.

“If we soak it long enough it will be white again!” Bunnymund said in excitement and I sighed. “Oh dear, I doubt that. We need to figure out something else to get him back the way he was,” Toothiana laughed nervously. I turn my back at them and I roll my eyes. My legs were tightly against my chest as I lifted my staff in front of me. There’s no magic left, practically I’m not a Guardian anymore.

I reached my hand behind my back and I pulled my hood on. “Shut up,” I muttered and they ignored me. I buried my head on my knees and I embraced myself. Then I felt a gentle touch on my shoulder and I lifted my head up. There she is, looking at me and smiling.

“Jack,” she started, “what are you thinking?” My heart wanted to scream from pain but I said that nothing is wrong. How could I tell her that I’m doubting of her existence, how my center is damaged and I just wish that they would give up.

She sat next to me and pulled her legs against her chest. “Mind if I sit here.. Frosty?” She said with a slight amount of playfulness in her voice. She glanced at me and smiled slyly. “So.. who are you?” I whispered for my surprise.

Her laughter was something that made even the Guardians to stop their argument of how to fix me. Last subject was to send me into circus to have a fun experience. “I’m Maiden of the Moon, the Protector of the Guardians. Other than that I’m still searching of my identity,” she smiled and took my hand.

My laughter was shallow, “Is that so?” Then she glanced at me and my cheeks warmed up a bit. “You kissed me a while ago in a dream,” she whispered and I blinked my eyes. “I haven’t dreamt about you,” I murmured.

She leaned against me and her fingers laced up with mine. “What rope are you trying to pull Maiden?” I said strictly and she hummed. “You were human back then, Jack,” she smiled and my heart skipped a beat.

“So what?” I groaned and stood up. She also stood up and fixed up her dress a bit. “I also remember my feelings towards you, Winter’s heart,” she said and jumped down from the rock head. My eyes follow her as she walks away.

“Where are you going?” I asked quickly. “Oh but Mr. Frost, you’ll always find me,” she giggled and went inside one of the numerous rabbit holes in Bunny’s island. My breathing became fast and my eyes were moving rapidly while I remembered something. “I will always find her.. I will always find you,” I said quietly and my heart ached.