Chapter 11

We were nearing the small chamber with the seven different tunnels. Simba led us through the tunnels.

I tapped him on the shoulder with my claw. "Simba,"

"Yes?" he narrowed his eyes. 

"Why didn't you say anything when you opened the cupboard? It looked like you didn't even know we were there." I said.

"Lumist left notes in all cells. Those who were fortunate enough to stumble across them always come here." He replied. "Also, I knew you were there. I could see your eye through the crack."

"But why were you going to leave us there?" Quinn asked. "Why didn't you ask us why we were there?"

"I was waiting for you to say the code word. No one else knows about the tunnels. And besides, I've had visitors in the past week as well. Who knew if you were them?" Simba said.

I frowned and glanced at Quinn behind his back. We turned a corner and then, we were in the chamber.

"Tunnel to the middle right." Simba instructed.

We heeded his directions. We continued down the tunnel.

"Nova?" Red asked.

"What?" I said.

"Can you like, do spells and magic? because I know that some become ancient wizards and stuff." She said.

I looked at my talons. Quinn snorted.

"Well, you see..... We need to wait until we're older." I said sheepishly.

"like us needing to wait to fly." Red gasped. "OH MY GOSH!" 

"What?" we all said in unison.

"My birthday!" Red exclaimed. She turned to Simba. "What's the date?"

"Well, tonight is full moon so...." He puzzled for a minute. "It's the forty seventh day of spring."

"My birthday's in TWO days!!!!" She howled.

"Calm down!" Simba whispered. We are approaching the surface."

We tip-toed upward through the tunnel. We then started to hear sounds. Voices. 

Simba pushed up at the entrance to the tunnel. It was covered by a huge boulder. "Help me, will ya?" He grunted. 

We helped him move the boulder aside. Light poured into the tunnel. We were in the edge of the forest but still invisible to the CheetahHawks preparing for the race.

"I will head out. You guys fly up into those trees." Simba told us as he left.

I flew up. Quinn was right beside me. 

"Wait!" Red called from the ground.

"Oh oops sorry." I called back. 

I was about to glide back down but there was rustling in the bushes. A CheetahHawk was coming!

"Hurry!" Quinn exclaimed. "just try to fly!"

Red opened her mouth to reply but then the shadow of the CheetahHawk cam behind a tree. She leaped and flapped. She did not have enough momentum. I tried to signal using my wings but then realize that was hopeless.My wings are not the same. If only Skye was here.... We had left her in a small cave on the way to the CheetahHawk village. I wonder how they are doing.. I was about to wonder further but my thoughts were interrupted by Red crashing into the tree. I grabbed her arm and pulled her up just in time. The Cheetah Hawk entered the clearing. 

It was Cymry.

I groaned. All that for nothing! "Cymry!" I barked.

She turned in shock. "Nova? Quinn? Red?" an expression of shock filled her face. "Don't kill me!" I'll rip you to shreds!" she hissed.

"We forgive you." I said hastily. "where is your mother?"

Cymry pointed at the scarcely visible rocked lining the long field where they would race.

"She would be there right now. I'm racing!" She said excitedly.

"We figured that much." mumbled Quinn.

"I will win and me and my mother will live here peacefully" She purred.

"But what if you don't win." I protested. "Where will you go? - and your mother?" 

A look of understanding slowly crept across her face. "Oh you want me to come with you? After what I've done! I think.... If I didn't win, I would come, yes. But my mother...." She bit her lip.

"What? She can come." Red said.

"She's a little...." She paused, searching for the right word. "Subversive?"

I sighed. "Would she help us?"

She shrugged. "It's all about first impressions with her. Act daring, reckless, and determined." 

"I don't even need to try." I said casually, licking my paw.

She laughed. "well, I gotta go!"

"Good luck!" We shouted as she turned around.

"Thanks!" She purred. 

When she left I said, "Red, that was really good for your first flight."

She wagged her tail. "I was scared. That's why."

"When we get back to Kiko and Skye we should do more lessons." Quinn said, encouragingly.

"Ooh! It looks like they are starting" I said.

We snapped to attention. The CheetahHawk contestants were lined up at the starting line. The crowd cheered as the announcer did his welcome speech. I scanned the crowd for Simba. I spotted him. I gave him a thumbs up and he nodded. Although it was hard to see the crowd trough the leaves, I could see the track clearly. Suddenly, the CheetahHawks bolted. They raced so fast that my eyes could barely keep up.  I spotted Cymry taking the lead. One part of me wishes she'll win but the other wishes the opposite. What if she wins? I thought. But I shook it off and kept watching. On big CheetahHawk leapt, wings spread to their full extent. He glided across the plains, going faster than the ones below him. Then, they all followed and jumped up as well. Cymry was the last to leap and had the most momentum. She was nearing the finish line when suddenly, a grey CheetahHawk who was very high in the sky dove straight down super fast. He was about to crash into the ground when he swooped forward and crossed the finish line. All the CheetahHawks skidded to a halt. They weren't going to win this month.

Cymry shrieked at the top of her lungs. So did the other CheetahHawk contestants and the ones in the stands cheering for them. The ones supporting the grey CheetahHawk Chirped and purred loudly. The losers slunk backwards through the track. 

Cymry turned towards us and headed into the forest. "well, I guess I'm going with you." She meowed softly.

"Oh no you aren't!" A voice hissed from the bushes. A crimson CheetahHawk Leapt from the bushes. "Give my daughter back or die!"