Chapter 17

Gardening was soothing for Valerie. Something about working in the earth was soothing to her soul. It was one thing she loved about spring. She thought about that as she thought about the wedding. Melanie was brilliant thinking of a garden wedding. It wouldn't be in her garden, because it wasn't big enough and the last thing she needed was people tracking through her herbs and vegetables.

She tipped her hat to brush the sheen of sweat that had collected on her forehead.Looking with contentment at her crops.

"You're avoiding me?" She looked up using her hand to bat away the sun her eyes adjusted on a shadow. She knew the silhouette anywhere. It make her heart skip.

Valerie sighed pulling off her gardening gloves. Abe knew her well, but this he was wrong about...sort of. She put her book down and her eyes settled on her ruggedly handsome fiance. Avoid that? She thought tracing his incredible physique and then resting on his big brown eyes. A sigh escaped her lips. "Just taking some 'me time', Abe."

He ran his fingers through his thick hair. It was clear he was dealing with something of his own. She cocked her head,

"Abe." She said softly. She stood up, brushed herself off pulled off her gardening gloved, tossed them down and embraced Abe, pressing her lips to his. He slid his warm tongue over her lips pulling her securely into him for a deeper kiss that rattled through her body. His prickly facial hair massaged her face setting her body on fire. She moaned as they sealed it with a brief kiss. She brushed her nose against his. "Why do you think, I'm avoiding you, Abe?" She searched his eyes.

He shook his head and his lip slowly curved. "Now I'm sorry for thinking that."

She giggled. She shook her head. "I'm the luckiest woman on the planet."

His head rested on hers, "I just needed to talk with you, and when Ken told me you'd left early, I guessed you were upset."

She giggled, "What reason do I have to be upset?"

He blew out a breath. Telling her that he was the upset one. Now she was worried, "I guess I just miss you, Val."

He looked into her eyes. His eye were filled with sorrow. "I haven't gone anywhere?" Her heart fell.

He cradled her chin tilted her head up, "I know." He said with a softness in his deep voice the penetrates her head, he rubbed her arms causing goosebumps, "It's just that...I should be used to sleeping alone."

"Abe?"

"I miss you in my bed...In our bed," He corrected, "Where ever that is."

She swallowed thickly. "Abe I..." She trailed off as he cradled her cheeks.

"I don't care where that is, Val. Maybe we'll figure this out after we get married, maybe the distance will be good," He shook his head, "I don't know, Val. I don't want my pride to get in the way of us. Time is precious." He brushed his lips against her forehead, "You're precious."

"I know, Abe. You're precious to me too."

"Let me take you somewhere for the weekend."

She smiled, "Where?"

He looked down at her, "Anywhere.Somewhere we can relax, and not think about things. I need to feel you in my arms."

She giggled, "Abe, I wish I could but I can't. I haven't been a present bride with Melanie."

Abe just shook his head, "I'm sure she'd still putting her ideas together."

Valerie pushed her lips together and cocked her head. That had grown to be one of Abe's favorite expressions of hers. He chuckled. "She must be. She hasn't talked to me about a budget yet."