Chapter 15

Melanie lingered behind Isaac on her bike. Not because she was tired she knew she could beat him home any day of the week, she made sure she rode at least another bike's length behind him. He didn't look back once. A few times he'd telling her to keep up. She said nothing back. He still didn't turn. He'd even stopped in front of her drive way. She almost wondered why. Almost. She stepped off her bike and walked it up the drive way.

"Bubbles?" She looked back at him. His blue eyes glittered, he even smiled. She felt her heart weakening but she was made.

"Go home."

He chuckled harshly, "What's wrong with you."

"It's late." She tilted her head.

Her pushed his fluffy lips together, "You wanted to to go to the border. I told you there was no way we'd make it home in time. If you wanted to get me grounded." He smiled sarcastically, "Congratulations, bubs."

"Then why don't you go home then?" She snapped.

"Buying time, for my my untimely death. In case this is the last time we see each other I hope you'll remember me like this and not the pieces my dad is going to chop me into when I get home."

She giggled. She couldn't help it she loved his smile. "You're so dramatic."

"We could have kept going, you know." She said hoarsely sliding her bike down beside him so he could see the seriousness on her face.

"And do what with the twenty dollars and lint in my wallet." He laughed, "We're too old to be joining the circus."

She ran her fingers down the collar of his hoodie resting her head on his.There was a slight breeze but not enough that warranted a sweater. He was just attached to the ratty thing. Her head slid onto his shoulder. "I think the cut off is eighteen, we're fifteen so we're good."

His eyes trailed off. "We'll I know what you're going to do. You have talent. What am I supposed to do while you're singing beautifully."

Melanie bit her lip. "You'd be my assistant."

His eyes widened and he laughed. "Really?"

"You'd be there to make me happy."

"That's my only job." He chuckled, "That would be too easy. They would probably put me on feces cleaning duty."

Melanie's eyes lit up, "Or a clown." She tapped his nose, "You'd make a good clown."

"I'm uncoordinated like one."

"Melanie!?" Valerie called out. Melanie flinched she almost sounded like her mom, but she turned to find Valerie.