7. Project Chronicles

"I think that Romeo and Juliet could be seen to be about lack of communication between people who supposedly loved each other."

Steven couldn't help but laugh at Tasha's statement. "Damn, you really don't think they loved each other, huh?"

Tasha shook her head and glanced at Steven, noticing his eyes fixated on her. "Absolutely no. How many times did they see each other? They had like what, one conversation? How did they love each other sooo daaamn much?"

The premise of Romeo and Juliet's story irritated her to the core, she enjoyed the story as a whole, but when it came to the love-at-first-sight thing then it was a hard pass for her.

"So," Steven raised a brow with a smile still on his face and asked her, "you don't believe in love at first sight?"

Tasha thought about it for a second. "I truly don't know. It's like, I've never experienced it doesn't mean it's not possible. But, the idea itself does not make sense to me."

"Yeah, I agree. Like love's something deep and seeing a person like that can just give you all you need to have that deep connection with them? I believe it takes time and care to build love, it ain't overnight," Kennedy jumped in the conversation too.

Malik nodded at what Kennedy said and typed something on his laptop, adding sentences to the Google Doc they had shared amongst each other to write the essay.

The group project consisted of writing a literary analysis essay, then transferring the main ideas of the essay into any artistic medium like a poster, painting, PowerPoint, etc.

They'd been brainstorming for one hour now, their essay only still had a hook, no background information, and thesis, let alone the body paragraphs. Although they were short on a group member because the fourth member had suddenly canceled, they were lucky Kennedy was there.

Her writing skills were far better than theirs, she had been the reason why they had an essay at all. Their real problem though was the fact that they'd spent most of their brainstorm time with conversations about various topics.

Somehow they had started with climate change, then they had moved to the importance of representation for the black community, and now, they were discussing love.

"I agree with you, Ken," Malik said to Kennedy as he finished typing, he already called her by her nickname. "But, I also believe that a person could feel a strong feeling of connection with another by just seeing them."

Kennedy shrugged and suggested, "Y'all males be mistaking y'all hard-ons for strong connections at times. Perhaps you guys are just horny and not in love?"

Tasha started hollering at what Kennedy brought up. "Sheesh, you're cold!"

Steven laughed too and shook his head. "Ok, so lust at first sight is definitely a thing. But that could happen with anyone, we talking about a deeper connection, y'know?"

Both Tasha and Kennedy shook their heads like they couldn't relate at all.

"We don't chase males, we chase bags. No time to be feeling connections with dusty ass men. Am I right?" Kennedy was being extra as always.

Tasha nodded in total agreement. "Right on point."

Steven and Malik looked at each other, knowing damn well the girls were lying their mouths off.

"Bet y'all picky as heck, though. You two are the type of girls to want the preppy good boys with an organized future," Malik commented with a smirk.

Tasha and Kennedy shared a look before cracking up. Yes, they were good girls. That didn't mean they didn't like some spice though.

"I meeean..." Kennedy dragged, still laughing, "I would appreciate my man to be good yet bad too, if it makes sense."

Tasha nodded too in total agreement. "Yeah, like there's power in balance."

"Exactly!" Kennedy agreed with Tasha.

"Like you aren't sleeping with everybody's daughter and mama, but you're a little hood too when it's time..."

"And," Kennedy made sure to add, "you can be good when it's time to meet my mom, show her you're proper and shit."

Tasha nodded and looked at the smiling guys, who were shaking their heads in unbelief. "Yes, that's definitely key."

"Women are so confusing, or is it only me?" Steven asked Malik in astonishment.

"I'm with you on this one, brother. So damn confusing."

Kennedy shoved Malik's shoulder for what he said since he was seating right next to her on the couch.

"Guys are way weirder. Many of you have an obsession with girls that are virgins. Why's that even a thing?"

"Yeah, she's right!" Tasha exclaimed, looking in question to her right at Steven who was seated next to her. For some reason, she wasn't finding him so annoying that particular day.

Steven rubbed his neck in a sort of embarrassment and looked right back at Tasha. "I guess it's sorta this ego thing. Knowing that you're the only guy she ever been with."

"Aah," Tasha nodded in understanding. "Makes y'all feel powerful, huh?"

Malik made a face and said, "Now you making us sound like assholes, though."

Kennedy laughed at the face Malik made, and Tasha just waved him off. "You know what? Why don't we focus back on the project?"

Everyone nodded in agreement, their eyes going to their various laptops, reading over what they had in the essay for now. It was really good, still incomplete though.

Kennedy crossed her arms and looked around. "So you guys want to focus on the 'bad communication between lovers thing?'"

"Yeah," Tasha replied. "We can apply it to today too, how a relationship can be destroyed when communication levels are poor. Like if Juliet and Romeo talked to one another about their plans they wouldn't have died."

Steven sat up and told everyone, "Yeah, I'm with Tasha's approach."

Malik clapped his hands together and nodded. "I agree. Let's do this."

The four of them got to work on finishing the essay together, mostly Kennedy did the writing part, but the rest of them thought of the ideas to write about. Before they knew it, they were halfway through the essay, which is when they stopped for the day.

"Wow, y'all. This is good!" Tasha was reading over what they had done for now and was impressed.

"All thanks to Ken, thanks Writing Wiz." Yes, Malik had given her another nickname already. Kennedy was happy, just hoping the friend zone wasn't waiting for her.

"Aww, I'm tryna stay humble but bitch, I'm good at this shit!" Kennedy knew she was anything but humble, she knew she was a great writer and that was that.

Tasha laughed and sucked her teeth at her friend. "Girl, you are not humble. This essay is good though, I'll give you that."

"Thank you really for the help Ken, but we ain't done yet." Malik reminded her, "Tomorrow we're meeting again and we need you, so be here."

"I got y'all."

It was now six o'clock in the evening, three hours had passed since Tasha and Kennedy had arrived at Malik's house. Instead of going home though, they entered yet another conversation with the guys, this time about the rich kids at Crest High.

"I mean, not everyone's stuck up, but boy are a lot of you self-centered," Tasha pointed out.

Malik was kind of offended by Tasha saying y'all. "Woah, so you're just gonna include us with them?"

"I mean, yeah. You guys are rich and go to Crest too."

Steven made a face and said, "But we're not stuck up, though."

"Sure you guys are not, Steven. Sure."

The three of them, Kennedy, Malik, and Steven, argued against Tasha's statements as she just laughed at them and listened to their valid arguments. She was obviously playing with them, yet they took her remarks to heart.