8. At The Movies

"This is only a friendly outing Ms. Negative-As-Hell, calm down. We all just friends, going out, to watch a movie."

Tasha shook her head repeatedly, her hands working to put on her checkered Vans slip-ons. "And dinner, not only movies, dinner too."

"So? Are you saying that's romantic or something?" Kennedy raised a questioning brow at her friend.

Tasha stood up and fixed her clothes. "Nah, I'm saying it's intimate though, for people who barely know each other..."

"Well, you looking weirdly good for not wanting to go, Tasha. Who are you trying to impress?"

Tasha glared at Kennedy. "Girl, you're reaching."

Kennedy shrugged her shoulders innocently. "I'm just saying, don't get your panties in a twist."

Tasha shook her head at her best friend and grabbed her arm. "Whatever, let's get out of here before we're late."

AT THE MOVIES

The four young adults had trouble agreeing on what exactly to watch. On one hand, Tasha and Steven wanted to see Jordan Peele's terrifying horror movie Us. On the other hand, Kennedy and Malik wanted to go with the comedy What Men Want starring Taraji P. Henson.

"You know what? Y'all can go watch that horror movie. Malik and I will be laughing and enjoying ourselves." Kennedy grabbed Malik's arm and moved them to buy their own tickets.

Steven put his arm around Tasha's shoulders and smirked at her. "So I guess it's just us two, princess."

Tasha sighed heavingly and looked back at Steven. "What did I tell you about calling me that?"

"Sorry, just can't help myself, beautiful."

Tasha rolled her eyes and removed his heavy arm from her shoulder. "C'mon white boy, let's go get our tickets."

Steven laughed at what Tasha called him and followed right behind her, trying hard not to look at her behind. He was trying to be a gentleman.

It took them a while to get their tickets because of both of them being hard headed. Tasha wanted them to split the bill, she would pay for the tickets and he would pay for their popcorn and drinks. Steven on the other side wanted to just pay for everything.

In the end, Steven begrudgingly agreed to Tasha's desires and let her pay for their tickets. Though, he was going to buy their snacks still.

"I've watched the trailer to Us so many times, I literally memorized the lines. Can't wait to watch it!" For some reason Tasha didn't seem to dread Steven's presence so much, she actually was nice enough to him now.

"I was sold to Jordan Peele two years ago because of Get Out, I know this won't disappoint either."

Tasha stared up at Steven as they walked to get their snacks. "Oh my gosh, Get Out is one of my favorite movies! So good!"

Steven smiled, Tasha's excitement was so contagious. Her smile excited him too. "Same here, great cinematography."

Tasha pointed to Steven and raised her brow. "Okay, we might be more alike than I thought. You're my new movie partner."

Steven could feel pure happiness flow through his body, transforming into a large smile on his face. "I'mma hold you to that."

"Hello, what would y'all like today?" An overly enthusiastic voice coming from behind the counter asked the two as they arrived at the snack station.

Tasha recognized that voice as James Martin's, one of the few other black kids at Crest High. He was a chill dude, goofy, and fun to hang around. Tasha and James dated a little last year, she ended things between them though.