38. More Everyday

TASHA

"He keeps calling me."

Kennedy bites her ice cream like a total maniac. "Yeah, I expected that much."

"Can you lick it like a normal human? You're increasing my anxiety, girl."

Kennedy's head rolls back in dramatic shock. "Ummm, hold up a minute. I'm here, helping you. Supporting your non-confrontational ass in this period and skipping the remainder of school for you, and I can't even eat my ice cream like I want to?? Wooow!"

I jokingly attempt to snatch the ice cream cone away from her hold but she dodges my lousy attempts and keeps biting her sweet treat. I don't even care when other people in the ice cream shop start staring at us as we both laugh uncontrollably, because this moment right here is just what I need.

"On the real, though. I've missed you. I've missed us."

I make a sad face and lick my vanilla ice cream slowly.

"I'm not trying to make you feel guilty or anything, I'm just being honest. You know I love that you're with the perfect man for you, but I hate feeling like we may be losing touch."

I nod. "I totally understand. I think we should be more proactive about having girl days and shit, you know?"

"Yes! I love that! Like Fridays or Saturdays, we dedicate the day to us girls completely. Let's start doing that!"

I smile but my train of thought is interrupted by a call from Janelle. I answer, and I'm not too shocked by the voice I hear.

"Tasha, where are you?"

I don't respond and he repeats, "Baby, where are you?"

Since I don't answer as soon as he asks, he sighs and keeps holding a one-sided conversation, my heart hurts from hearing the pain in his voice, "Sweetheart, I just need to know that you're okay."

"I'm good, Steven," surprisingly, my voice sounds more normal than I feel.

"There's my girl." I can almost see his smile through the line. "Can we talk? In-person?"

"I'll be home soon, you can go there after practice."

"I can skip practice, so I can see you directly after school."

I shake my head. "Don't skip another one, Steven. Don't worry, I'll be out with Ken until later."

"Alright then. I'll see you later tonight, okay?"

"Okay."

He ends the conversation our usual way, warming my heart like always, "I love you, Tasha. More every day. You know that, right?"

"Of course I know you love me, Steven. And I love you, too. More and more."

After we hang up, Kennedy and I take our time to finish our cones, with Kennedy doing her best to talk about anything but my upcoming birthday since she and the rest of the group had committed themselves to arrange a surprise party.

After spending a long time at the ice cream parlor chatting and ordering more food, we decide to leave since Steven will be at my house in one hour and Kennedy needs to get home to complete her mountain of assignments.

Once we're in front of my door, I hug her tightly and bid her goodbye, thanking her for helping me process through my fear of confrontation.