Chapter 12 Volume 4

Zack (POV)
It was nighttime and I just made it to RNJR's camp. RNJR and Qrow were I sitting around the campfire. They looked like they were about to have a serious talk so I land in the closet tree and listen in.
Qrow- Really no questions?
Jaune- Of course we have questions. It's just a lot to take in.
Zack *mind*- I guess I just missed the maiden's talk.
Qrow- Sure of course.
Qrow- So these maidens. They're powerful fighters that don't need dust to use magic.
Qrow- Yeah.
Nora- And there are four of them?
Qrow- Yep. Always.
Ren- Which means whenever one of them dies, the power transfers to someone. A female who they care about?
Qrow- Whoever was in thier thoughts last. Important distinction. Best option it's someone we can trust. Regardless their souls become combined.
Jaune- And that was what you were trying to do to Pyrrha. The night the tower fell. You were trying to turn her into one of them.
Qrow- The previous fall maiden Amber had been attacked. She was young and inexperienced and her assailant which we now know it's Cinder somehow managed to steal all of her power but not all of it. We were afraid if we didn't do something, the rest would go to her.
Jaune- So you forced it on Pyrrha.
Qrow- We didn't force anything. We explained the situation and gave her a choice and she chose. . You were there. You heard her. If anything, Zack knew everything about the whole situation and Pyrrha put trust in him so she wasn't alone.
Jaune gets off his long and walks off but stops.
Jaune- And because of that you got him killed too.
Jaune continues his walk away from the fire.
Ruby- That guy Tyrian. Why was he after me?
Qrow- (Sigh) Well you definitely painted a target on your back with what you did at beacon. I told you having silver eyes is a rare trait and the fact that you were able to use them seemed to upset some powerful people. Not many people know about the silver eyes but those that do aren't very happy that one has surfaced. That's why we wanted to keep an eye on you. Wanted to make sure you're safe. All of you.
My eyes go big that Qrow let that slip.
Ruby- We?
Qrow- Uhhhh
He spots me in the tree. Everyone turns to where Qrow was looking at.
Zack *mind*- Fuck it.
I fly out of the tree and land on Qrow's right shoulder.
Qrow- Yeah we.
Ruby- Awwwhhh!!! What a cute little dragon!!! Kaz look!! You got a new friend!!
Kaz looks at me then goes back to laying down.
Ruby- So why didn't you guys travel with us? Seems like it would've made things easier
Jaune- He was using you as bait.
Qrow- Look I wouldn't put it like that. It's complicated.
Jaune- What is all of this? Ruby's being hunted. The schools are being attacked all for what? What is the point of all of this? Will you just tell us what's going on!!
Qrow- Would you sit down. You're stressing me out kid.
Jaune comes back over and sits on a log.
Qrow- Not many people are super religious these days. This world has been around for a long time. Long enough that people have created dozens of gods...and demons. If you believe Ozpin, Three of them were actually real. The two gods were brothers. The older sibling the god of light found joy forces of life. Meanwhile the younger brother the god of darkness spent his time creating forces of destruction. As you can imagine, they both had different ideas on how things should go. The older one would speed his days water, plants, and wildlife. A night his brother would wake to see all the things the elder had made and became disgusted. To counteract his brother creations, the god of darkness brought drought, fire, and famine. All that he could do to rid remnant of life. Life always returned. So one night the younger brother went and made something. Something that shared his innate desire to destroy anything and everything.
Ruby- The creatures of grim.
Qrow- You guessed it. The older brother had finally had enough. Knowing that their fief couldn't last like this forever, he proposed that they make one final creation together. Something that they both could be proud of. Their masterpiece. The younger brother agreed. This last great creation was given the power to create and destroy. It would be given the gift of knowledge so that it can learn about itself and the world around it. And most importantly, it would be given the power to choose. To have free will. To take everything it had learned and decide which path to follow. The path of light or the path of darkness. And that became to be us.
Ren- But what does that have to with us?
Qrow- That's the kicker. You see the four gifts to mankind knowledge, creation, destruction, and choice are all just metaphorical. Each of them exist in a physical form let behind by the gods before they abandoned remnant. Each of them was extraordinarily powerful. If someone were to collect all four, they'd be able to change the world. And that's exactly what the enemy wants. The huntsman's academies were created to train generations of humanities protectors but they also serve another purpose. Guarding the relics.When Ozpin's predecessors founded the schools, they built them around the relics to act as a fortress. Not only would they be easy to defend but they would constantly be surrounded by trained warriors. The hope was that hiding the relics would keep mankind from using them against themselves and of course keeping them out of her reach. So yeah. There's that.
Ruby- Her. You mean Salem?
Qrow- That's right. Not much is known about her and quite frankly that's not what matters. What matters right now is that she wants the relics. And if she gets them, it's not going to end well.
Jaune- Alright so let's just say we believe all of this. There really is this crazy evil being behind these attacks. Not just some thugs trying to become powerful. Why doesn't the world know? Why isn't atlas going after them or mistral?!
Nora- And why aren't we in more of a hurry to get to Haven? Shouldn't we be giving them a message? What if their next?
Qrow- The headmaster over there saw what happened at beacon. He's not dumb. He'll be on his guard. Besides it takes time to mobilize forces like that. You really think they planned that attack on beacon overnight? Zack knew it was coming a couple months before it happened. And to answer your question (Points to Jaune) It's the same reason we keep quiet about the maidens. If the whole world knew about the relics and about Salem, it would be chaos and we would have another Great War on our hands and this time you'd have to fight. Look I had the same questions too and so did Zack though Ozpin always put his foot down we can't cause a panic. Can't tell ya how many times I've heard that. Salem's smart. She works from the shadows. Using others to get what she wants. So when comes time to place the blame, we can only point at each other. She's trying to divide us, humanity.
I tune out the rest of what he says until I feel him get up and start walking away.
Ren- Where are you going?
Qrow- Taking a walk.
Ruby- Anything else you want to tell us? Anything about this third god or anything about Zack?
Qrow- Not tonight.
Qrow walks a little bit into the woods until we reach a small clearing. I fly off his shoulder and turn back to normal.
Zack- So I guess they took it well.
Qrow- Yeah I guess.
Zack- They seemed kinda mad at you for getting me involved into all the secret stuff. I'm sorry.
Qrow- Don't apologize. It's not your fault.
Zack- If you say so. Hey you should really get that cut checked out.
Cas- It's poisoned. He will die if left untreated.
Zack- Cas said that the cut poisoned you and that you could die if you leave it untreated.
Qrow- I'm fine kid. Go watch the kids.
Zack- Fine. Rest up.
With that I fly back to my tree at camp to watch over the group.
Author: Perhaps my longest chapter yet.
Damn man!! See y'all next chapter.