A Start (Chapter Eight)

It wasn't that long a trip for Hunter.

He did this trip all the time with Ivy, doing errands for mum. One day they walked an hour just to get a chocolate bar and ate it on the hour long walk back.

Hunter smirked at those memories, going up one last hill. At the top he could clearly see the town, sprawled out beneath him.

It had changed, just like Ivy said.

From the distance he could see the crashed and odd array of cars, as well as the huge group of children milling in the plaza. With renewed confidence he started jogging down the hill, making up a plan with every step.

Mostly, he'd tell the truth. He lived up past Trotters Ridge, and was home schooled. If it would benefit him, they'd know Ivy was his sister.

But they wouldn't know about his other sisters and brother. The food and everything they had would stay a secret, as well as any information about his mother and father.

It had to be easy enough, finding somewhere to live. He just had a make a friend, and ask to live there.

It wasn't like there were adults with common sense who would deny him a temporary home. And if he couldn't find anyone to live with, he'd move into an empty house.

If all else failed, he'd do the walk of shame home.'

But he wouldn't fail, he was sure of that.

Halfway down the hill he noticed the burnt and crumbled apartment building, frowning at how Ivy had really survived what looked like it had been a fiery hell.

Now it was like a skeleton, a haunting reminder of what had been.

Reaching the bottom of the hill, he started towards what he realized was a growing crowd.

What are they crowding around? Hunter wondered as he jogged up to the group, blending in with the crowd but managing to push his way to the front.

A line of kids stood at the front, all but one dressed in the same crimson coloured uniform.

They were the kids of Coates academy. Hunter knew a couple of them, since Coates academy was pretty close to their house- closer than Perdido beach anyways,

Caine, the only one in a different outfit, was talking to the crowd- being as charming as always. Hunter knew him only from one time, but he still didn't like him.

Hunter thought he wasn't someone to be trusted- but everyone was watching him like he was some saviour as he spoke about the Coates kids and the kids of Perdido beach coming together.

"If it's okay with everyone here, I would like to borrow your church. I would like to sit down with your leaders, in the presence of our Lord, and discuss my plan, and any changes you want to make. Are there maybe, oh, a dozen people who could speak for you?"

Hunter frowned as some brute pushed his way past him- Captain Orc.

The one who'd tried to steal his sisters motorcycle, the leader? If he was leading them, it would not end good- this much Hunter knew. 

Orc and Caine awkwardly greeted each other, and then Caine asked for who else that spoke for Perdido beach. A moment of silence followed, before all kids started speaking at once- nominating all sorts of people.

The name Sam Temple popped up everywhere and Hunter turned his head to look at the kid everyone was talking about. He was one of the oldest, with sandy brown hair.

He didn't look comfortable with the situation, shrugging off the accomplishments people were dressing him with. School Bus Sam, they called him.

Caine faltered for a split second before introducing himself to Sam with a fake smile.