Pain (Chapter Twenty One)

Sam was trying to stay calm as he led his group through the forest- not at all worrying over the coyotes they'd just fought, or the fire they'd just survived.

He had a plan, and at that moment it was all that the group needed.

Sam had Edilio, he had Astrid, he had Quinn and he had Lana.

He also had Little Pete.

He was only a few feet behind him, being led by Astrid. Right next to Sam was Lana, with Edilio on the other side and Quinn falling back as Sam quickly told Edilio and Lana his plan- speaking loudly so Astrid could hear behind them.

"I met a girl, a couple days ago. This girl happened to say that I could stay a her house at anytime I wanted- which is in a secluded area of the woods. No one except me knows where it is, so we'll be safe there."

Instantly Astrid had a million little things that could be wrong with his plan- but they all knew that they really didn't have any other choice.

No one really knew how far the house was from Hermit Jim's shack- but Sam knew the general direction and was sure he'd be able to find it.

An hour past, and everyone started getting a little restless.

"Are you sure we're heading in the right direction?" Edilio asked, sounding unsure. "Maybe I'd just be easier to head back to Perdido Beach and then just-"

"What's that?"

Sam turned his gaze from Edilio to Quinn, who was staring down the path at something.

At first Sam expected a snake with wing, or a talking coyote. Maybe even the Darkness Lana spoke about.

But what Quinn saw was a porch.

"That's it! We're here!" Sam called, becoming excited as they all picked up their pace towards the house.

It wasn't a real solution to their problem, but it was a first step- a place to rebuild and plan.

Maybe Ivy would even join them, and Sam was sure she had a power of some sort- or at least some skills with a gun.

They would come back, and they would defeat Caine and Drake.

They could do it, Sam knew it.

Astrid somehow got in front of Sam, and he stood patiently behind her when she knocked on the door. Behind Sam he could see Edilio and Quinn taking in the outside of the house- and behind them Lana was frowning, looking as if she expected a coyote to burst out the front door.

There was a flicker of movement that could be seen through the stain glass window- and then the door flew open.

"Sam?" Ivy asked, looking concerned and curious as she stood in the doorway- a gun clenched tight in her hand.

"Ivy, remember when you said that I could stay here if I ever needed to?" Sam asked, smiling weakly.

"Yeah, I did say that." Ivy sighed, opening the door wider. "Why don't you just come in then."

A couple minutes later they were all seated in the living room, Thalia watching Sam carefully as he explained what had happened.

Once he was done, her stare was noticeably more harsh.

"What? You told me last time that things were fine in town- and suddenly we have kids trying to murder other kids, talking coyotes, and some demonic force called the Darkness?" Ivy asked, getting to her feet as she started pacing.

"Should you be walking? I mean, it's been some time but doesn't it still hurt-"

"I'm fine Sam." Ivy snapped, not liking looking weak in front of these people in any way.