Lines (Chapter Five)

Ivy's eyes fluttered open.

At first all she could do was stare at the sky.

Then she realized it was the sky, not her ceiling.

She jerked upwards, groaning and flopping back down when her a headache she hadn't noticed attacked her brain.

"Yeah, might want to be careful for a little while."

Ivy opened her eyes, glaring ruefully at the Captain Obvious who was talking to her. She didn't recognize her, she didn't know her.

"I'm Mary." The girl said sweetly, ignoring Ivy's softening glare as she held something up to her mouth.

At first Ivy started choking on it, sitting up straight and shoving her off until she realized it was just an oxygen mask.

Ivy kept her hands by her sides, her hands tightening into fists as Mary held the mask to her mouth again.

That time she took a deep breath of it.

"Astrid told me to do that once you woke up, and I was doing it when we couldn't wake you up. It was a really brave thing you know, going into the burning building." Mary said sweetly, helping Ivy into a more comfortable position on the grass of the plaza.

Ivy glanced around, noticing all the kids who were just milling around, even the six year old's who's mothers would hate them out this late-

Wait, how late it is?

Ivy relayed her question to Mary, who took one glance at her watch before answering her.

"It's just past seven."

Instantly Ivy started getting to her feet, her mind filled with the tongue lashing she'd get from Hunter once she got home.

"No no no. You need to sit down. Sam told me that  he wanted to talk to you once you woke up, and he had to go to the power plant with Astrid- you'll need to talk to Astrid to make sure you're really healthy. Or maybe we should ask Dahra-"

"Hold up blondie. Who's Sam? Who's Astrid? Who's Dahra? I just barely know you're Mary here."

"You don't know Sam? School Bus Sam? Do you go to the middle school that's just over here?" Mary asked, looking completely confused as she pointed in the direction of the local elementary school.

"What? No, no. I'm home schooled. I just came into town to find a working phone, or an adult. I need to get back to my siblings-"

"But Sam said he wanted to talk to you-"

Ivy sighed, sending Mary a tired look. It was then when Ivy noticed how tired she looked.

"I'm sorry. Right now I'm actually taking care of all of the children. All the babies, toddlers, young children-" Mary started, getting to a ranting tone as she went. Then she made a sobbing sound, covering her eyes with her hands.

Instantly Ivy felt bad, growling at her own hostile attitude as she got back onto her bum and scooted over next to her so she could wrap her arms around her crying form.

"That's an amazing thing to do Mary." She whispered, staying by her side until the young blond girl looked up with red eyes.

"Thank you." She muttered, wiping her eyes dry as she spoke- her hands and voice shaking.

Ivy stared at this girl for a second, feeling as if she could become great friends with this girl.

But no, she couldn't.

"I really need to get back to my siblings." Ivy mumbled, feeling bad even as she said it. Mary frowned as Ivy stumbled to her feet- wincing as sudden pain made her knees knock.