Unexpected Guest (Chapter Eleven)

"A boiling pot never boils, half an hour later and it's still ice cold!" Quinn muttered, shooting a dramatic look at Edilio- who just rolled his eyes in return as he actually turned the burner on.

Sam laughed from where he was sitting, across from an awkward Hunter at the kitchen table.

"Why are you laughing, you're the one that forgot to turn it out!" Quinn muttered, chuckling himself as he swatted at Sam's head with the towel.

They joked on, practically forgetting Hunter was there as he worried about getting home to Ivy. She wasn't expecting him that night, but he still wanted to go home.

"What are you so worried about?" Sam asked, Hunter only noticing Sam was watching him when he spoke.

"Oh, nothing." Hunter answered nonchalantly, shrugging it off as nothing.

But still Sam watched him.

Then Sam stood up, not moving his feet as he leaned over the table- until his face was only a couple inches from Hunters.

Hunter was frozen, confused and slightly scared as the boy who Hunter only knew from his sister claiming he could shoot light rays out of his hands came closer.

"S-sam?" Hunter asked, hating his nervous stutter.

Seemingly just noticing what he was doing, Sam jerked backwards. He glanced around the room to see that Quinn and Edilio had left the room.

"Sorry, I just, uh- can you check the pasta?" Sam asked, shaking his head and looking deep in thought.

Nodding, Hunter quickly got to his feet. Padding over to the pasta, he took off the lid quickly- moving his hand away from the steam he was sure would follow.

But there was no steam.

Frowning, Hunter held his hand just over the water- noticing the pasta was still firm and as straight as a pole. He set down the lid, peering at the temperature gauge- which was at 375 degrees.

"Must be broken.." Hunter mumbled as he put his hands on either side of the pot- ready to move it to the next over burner, which hopefully would work.

But then suddenly the pot, that was room temperature a second before, was boiling hot.

Hunter shouted out in surprise, dropping the pot as he shook his hands. The boiling hot water sploshed over his clothing, and the spaghetti was all over the floor- now looking more done than it had mere seconds before.

Staring at his hands carefully, Hunter realized they didn't hurt. He felt the heat, but he didn't feel the pain. Rubbing his hands together, his mind was going a million miles an hour- so that Hunter was just staring at his hands like a weirdo as Sam had to snap in front of his face.

"Hunter!" He called, Hunter's head snapping up to look at him. "Are you ok Hunter?"

By then Quinn and Edilio had reappeared- Quinn asking what had happened as Edilio started cleaning the mess up.

"I- I'm fine." Hunter managed to say, looking slightly scared and shaken as he spoke. "It, I guess it just slipped."

Droning out whatever Sam said next, Hunter found himself walking numbly out the front door.

Behind him he could just barely hear Quinn and Edilio calling after him- but he didn't answer, and soon enough he was running down the street, with one thought in mind.

Home.

Because he needed to get to Ivy.

He needed to be home, he needed to get Ivy- because he had a superpower.