So Close (Chapter Nineteen)

He'd been so close.

The second he'd awoken, it was all Drake could do but swear and thrash in fury.

His gun had been lined up with her head, she'd been sobbing, her brother moaning.

But then suddenly he was crashing forward, having barely seen Sam before he was being shoved forward.

It would've been so easy, finding her in the hotel- watching her panic and then try to trick him by hiding. But he'd found her, and he had her in his sights-

And then Sam showed up.

"I'll kill all of them!" Drake howled one last time before starting to calm himself down, knowing he'd have to report to Caine at some point.

Report to Caine with his failure.

Oh joy. Drake thought bitterly as he snagged his gun up from the ground, starting to slowly storm back into town.

They'd have escaped, definitely heading into the wilderness now.

Where they couldn't be tracked.

Or maybe Orc finally did something useful and caught them. Drake thought, in a hopeful but doubtful tone of thought.

Orc would've done nothing. It was all over.

Soon enough Drake was back in town, the eyes of everyone he passed following him as he stalked down the street- and finally into town hall.

This time, he paused and knocked on the door to Caine's room.

"Come in Drake." Caine called through the door, as if he could've seen through the closed door and see him.

Very slowly Drake opened the door, edging into the room as he swept the room with his eyes.

No Diana. Just him and Caine.

Surprising.

"Took you almost half a day to get back Drake. I was about to send someone after you." Caine said in an uninterested voice, obviously not having worried about Drake.

"Sam sneaked up on me, a second before I would've gotten Astrid." Drake replied stiffly, standing in front of the desk Caine was sitting behind.

"Oh. Well don't worry Drake- you'll get your chance at Astrid." Caine responded- Drake knowing that when he specifically said Astrid, it meant he was claiming Sam as his to kill.

But Drake wanted Sam.

Now that he thought about it, he had a lot of people of his kill list so far.

Sam, Astrid, the retard-

He had some maybe thoughts on many different people- but his list was growing.

There was a silence, both of them thinking and neither of them wanting to be in that moment.

"So, what's next?" Drake asked uneasily, eying Caine as he smiled and stood.

"We are going to go to Coates, and we are going to study Andrew's poof." Caine said, using hand gestures to silently ask what he thought.

"Oh, ok." Drake answered thinking for a moment.

See, Drake wasn't anywhere close to his poof. His fifteenth birthday was just under six months away, but Caine was only focusing on this because his birthday was less than a week away.

He was a running time bomb, and when time ran out he wouldn't explode- just disappear without a trace.

What would happen then? If Caine was to poof?