Take Care (Chapter Twelve)

Ivy grunted in response, crossing her arms across her chest. Meanwhile Hunter swept past her into the living room, stopping right next to Alice.

"So, I see you've met Alice, Deon and Kimmy." Hunter said, smiling as he gently took Deon from Sam.

"Yeah, nice kids. Do you think we could speak in private?"

It took Ivy a moment to realize he was talking to her, but she nodded in response.

"Why don't you go take a seat on the porch?" Hunter suggested, leveling his gaze at Ivy. "And while we're at it, emphasis on seat. You need to get back in your wheelchair."

"Wheelchair?" Sam asked in a shocked voice- considering he got out of the fire without much more damage than some small burns, scratches and smokey lungs.

"It's nothing. Hunter, my feet have gotten better." Ivy replied gravely, then leaving the room without another word.

She didn't look over her shoulder to see if Sam was following her- heaving open the back door and plopping down on a chair without inviting him to join her.

But he did anyway, sitting directly in front of her.

"So, Ivy." Sam started, pausing when he realized he hadn't planned out anything to say. "How badly were you hurt in that fire?"

"The leather I was wearing melted. My feet and hands mainly- and now I only have a bit of pain walking, from wincing three days ago." Ivy answered in a monotone voice, her hands absent mindedly flexing under the loose wool gloves she was wearing.

Considering the weather, it was a bother- but she would not risk hurting anyone.

"Oh, well I'm sorry for that." Sam said quietly, glancing down at his feet before peering back at Ivy. He leaned forward, his elbows set on his knees.

"You know, I knew Hunter was related to you. You're eyes are the exact same dark brown colour. Nearly black- but they looked a bit more solid before..." Sam mumbled, Ivy's eyes narrowing at him. "But I was unsure, since Hunter's blond. He's blond, your hair is nearly black, Alice's is light brown and Kim's is a strawberry blond. I wouldn't be surprised if Deon turned out to be a red head."

Ivy couldn't help but chuckle at that, since it was one of the things people always noted about their family. No one really understood it, but it wasn't that impossible seeming- with Mrs. Blackwell being a brunette and Mr. Blackwell being blond.

"At the fire," Ivy said abruptly, making Sam flinch. "You shot light out of your hands."

It wasn't a question, it was a statement. An observation.

She was just waiting for his response.

"Yeah," He said slowly, with an uncertain tone. "I did do that."

"And you hit the little girl."

It was silent for a long while, and eventually Sam choked out an answer.

"I did, and later she died from the smoke." He revealed, his voice uneven and shaky.

More silence followed, and Ivy's brain whirled at what he'd just said. He seemed awful keen on adding how she died.

Sam killed the little girl, Ivy was sure of it.

At the same time she had this growing feeling like she also had something to do with her dying.

But he also made it sound like he didn't want anyone to know about it, and it seemed to be haunting him. It also looked like an accident, but Ivy still sat up a little straighter in her seat- watching Sam a bit more carefully.