Chapter 42

It's been three days now since Luke's been in the hospital and I've spent most of my afterschool time to be with him. I would always bring my homework there, so I could work on it and be with Luke.

Of course not all my time was with him, because others wanted to see him as well. Even his parents who came back to town yesternight visited him and spent an entire hour with him. Ben and Jack stopped by to say hey once a day and my and his friends would visit him as well.

However, they didn't spend a lot of time with him, because Luke would always ask for me and they couldn't bring themselves to say no.

As the days went by Luke's sickness had gotten better and he was looking healthier than ever. He kept insisting he was well enough for us to kiss, but I told him to wait a bit longer, just to be on the safe side.

The doctor informed me that she believes that Luke is about ready to go home and can check out later on in the evening. His legal guardian had to do it, so I was to leave when someone who's responsible for him legally comes.

Right now it was around seven at night and Luke and I were just talking and laughing with one another as I held a book filled with cheesy jokes in my hand for me and Luke to look at.

"Wait, listen to this," I said, straightening myself and laughing before proceeding. "Do you eat spaghetti with your left or right hand?"

"Right hand," Luke said in a serious tone and I bit back a laugh.

"Really? That's weird. I usually use a fork."

"Oh, my God." He threw his head back as he howled with laughter. "That was so lame, yet so funny." I handed him the book and he took it, flipping through the pages. "Okay, I got it." He cleared his throat and tried to keep on a straight face. "Would you be mad at me for something I didn't do?"

"Uh, no," I said, not sure of where this was going.

"Okay, good, because I didn't do my chores." I leaned forward and pressed my face into my hands, grinning like an idiot. "That was awful, wasn't it?" I nodde and Luke just laughed and then the room fell silent. "But in all honesty, would you be mad at me if I didn't do something?"

I looked up at him. "It really depends on the situation. Is there... something you're keeping from me?" I know there is, but he's finally going to tell me.

"I'm not going to lie anymore, so yes, but it isn't as bad as you might think it is!" He said the last part quickly, not giving me a chance to speak or prepare myself to say anything.

"Wh-What is it?" I shifted in my seat and started leaning away from him. He let out a sigh, looking at the book in his hands before his eyes looked up at me.

"Remember last week when the football flew at your head and I told you that I had to keep an eye out for you for a week?" he began and I nodded slowly. "Well, it wasn't... um, I..." He mumbled the last bit and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Luke, what is it? Tell me. I won't be mad."

"That's what they all say before all Hell breaks loose."

"Luuuuke..." He glanced up at me and then he let out a sigh.

"I... intentionally kicked the ball towards you."

What?

"What?" I repeated my thought.

"And I may or may not have made up the policy..." Now at this point my jaw dropped and I was just staring at him.

"What?!" I exclaimed, jumping out of my seat and just staring down at him. "You made up the policy?!"

"You said you wouldn't be mad!"