#6 (AU)

Holy shit.
What is this?! 1.16k reads?! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH OOOHHHH MMMYYY GGGODDDSSS!!!!!!! AHHH LOVE YOU (no homo tho) ALL FLUFFBALLS!

Italics for sign language

Will PoV:

School sucks. It's kinda a proven fact.

School is especially bad when you don't fit into the typical groups, or have a special condition. School simply isn't made with everyone in mind; which to be fair, is impossible. But when you're into basketball in a school that's all about football, gay, have a deaf boyfriend, and speak with a southern accent, you don't fit in.

And that is me.

Wow, I'm even more of an outcast than I remembered. Oh, and I'm also a history geek.

I have a complete fascination for history. Our teacher, Mr. Brunner, also happens to be awesome. In his class, we studied ancient civilizations, such as the Chinese dynasties and Mesopotamia (A.K.A Mess o' potato because we have a stupid class). My favorite unit, however, is Ancient Grecce/Rome. That also happens to be the subject we're studying now.

Nico, my boyfriend, and I were walking through the crowded hallway to get to the history wing. PSA: Don't stand in clumps when you're in a crowded hallway just to talk. Please. We elbowed our way around a gaggle of popular girls gossiping to finally reach the classroom. I let out a puff of air that I didn't know I had been holding and went to my seat.

The hard plastic of the desk chairs was the only thing that wasn't comfortable about the room. Mr. Brunner had decorated the walls with gory posters of the ways people from different eras killed others, so having lunch after this class was a gamble to see if I could eat or not. But I still enjoyed the posters, especially when I imagine somebody else's face on them *cough Octavian cough*.

You think you'll have an appetite for lunch today? I signed to Nico.

It won't be the posters taking my appetite today. I have to present, remember? He signed back.

After I had first met Nico, I spent every moment I could learning ASL (stands for Alf sign language or American sign language. Your pick). I wasn't perfect, but it got me through a lot.

You're presenting on Apollo and Artemis, right? I asked.

His hand smacked his forehead in the shape of a 'V' in response- the sign for stupid. I laughed it off and pulled out a pencil from my binder. I looked up at the whiteboard in front of the class to see what we were doing today. Apparently, only our presentations. I was scheduled to go tomorrow, but Nico was going second. Annabeth, a good friend of ours and a total nerd, was first. The bell rang, signaling the end of passing period.

Percy, Jason, Leo, and Frank walked in at the last possible second, nearly sprinting to their seats. They're some of our good friends, along with Annabeth, Piper, Hazel, and Reyna. Out of the girls, though, only Annabeth is in our history class. None of us are crazy popular, but Percy is the captain of the swim team (despite his seaweed-filled skull, he made the team and is killing the game), and Jason is on the football team. The guys were lucky to get seats next to each other in the back row. And of course Percy picked the seat right behind Annabeth, who also happened to be his girlfriend.

Mr. Brunner yanked me out of my thoughts by speaking. "Hey kiddos. We've just got some presentations today, so just don't fall asleep and keep quiet. Annabeth, you're up."

Of course Annabeth had the best presentation, and we didn't even need to see anyone else's to know that. Each image was perfectly placed, and a font was chosen with a beautiful aesthetic in mind. Leave it to Annabeth to make an amazing presentation. She was even signing along so Nico could understand her. Mr. Brunner even had this little smile on his face as she presented. She wrapped up, signing to Nico that it was his turn.

The only thing that I was better than Annabeth in was sign language, and even then not much. I signed to Nico asking if he needed any help, but he shook his head, the universal symbol for 'no.' Nico signed to Mr. Brunner, who actually knew sign language, to translate anything he said to English. He gave Nico a nod in return as Nico finished setting up the presentation.

Today I'm presenting on Apollo and Artemis.

"Today I'm presenting on Apollo and Artemis." The teacher said.

Ok, first-

"Keep going" I whispered. Nico was learning to read lips, and I figured he'd like the encouragement. What I was not expecting, however, was for him to abruptly stop speaking and give me a strange look.

Did you just say "fuck me?"

No, no! I just said "Keep going!" Seriously Nico! I signed back. But maybe later.

Nico went bright red at that last cheeky little sentence. Will! Really?! You know Brunner can understand what we're saying, right?

I actually hadn't noticed, but Mr. Brunner had stopped translating for Nico and was trying to hold back a laugh. He wasn't succeeding though, as he looked like he was a squirrel stuffing his cheeks for winter. You're right, I do know everything you're saying. Keep it PG, boys.

Now MY face was burning up. I looked around to see some very confused classmates. Leo was muttering something to Frank, but he's such a good kid he didn't pay any attention to the Latino elf. Annabeth looked shocked; after all, she does know what we're saying. And poor Percy was just so confused.

"Yo, umm, why are you talking about fried chicken or whatever it is?"

Mr. Brunner signed to Nico what Percy had asked, causing Nico to roll his eyes and shoot Percy a glare. He threw his hands up, turned around, and set his head against the wall, as if he was a small child being punished. Honestly, I would do the same. Percy may be a good person, but he's ignorant as fuck.

"Nico, please continue with your presentation." The teacher signed along so Nico could understand him. The only reason he was speaking was to get the rest of the class to settle down. "Wait- actually, Percy, seriously? You think we'd be casually chatting about food during Nico's presentation? I'm a teacher, I don't do that! Anyways, Nico, continue."

Our class continued as normal after that; well, as normal as a class full of teenagers can be. A couple notes were exchanged under desks, a few whispers.

Now all I was afraid of was lunch.

__________________

solangelo_overload I'm waiting for your take of this prompt!