Love Me Anyway

"Even if you see my scars,"

"You know what it is, sweetheart?"Haymitch asked, leaning against the wall with a glass of whiskey in his hand as he stared at the District 12 Escort who raised an eyebrow at him, daring him to continue what he was going to say. "You act all mighty but I can see right through that."He continued, gesturing at her. "You're just a broken thing, needing someone to fix you."He added, holding her blue eyes. "You don't know what you're talking about, Haymitch."She threw back coldly, holding her clipboard tightly as he closed the distance between them. "Are you sure about that?"

"Even if I break your heart,"

"You're the one who is hurting the people around you, Abernathy. No one else."She answered, laying down the clipboard almost as if she gave up her shield and allowed herself to be vulnerable. "Because I don't want them to get hurt just by being involved with me."He explained, his hand cupped her cheek gently. "Some people can make that out for themselves."

"If we're a million miles apart, Do you think you'd walk away?"

"Here I thought you were the smart one of us two."He muttered rather amused as he picked up the clipboard, handing it to her as a sign that this conversation was finished for now. "I thought you wouldn't let people tell you what to do, Haymitch."She threw back, seeing him freeze in his movements, slowly turning back around to face her. "Distance is safe, sweetheart."He whispered, cupping now both her cheeks in his hands, pulling her face carefully closer towards his. "And I told myself to keep a fair distance between me and the ones I care about."

"Are you lost in all the noise?"

"Perhaps those people can't understand the distance you put between them."She said, taking a small step back as his hands fell off her cheeks as he just stared at her.

"Even if I lose my voice,"

"They would hurt them."He muttered, shaking his head causing his blond locks to come in front of his face as she felt the need to just put them back in place but held her clipboard a bit tighter. "Who would?"She asked, feeling as if today she would get the answers she was so desperately searching. Maybe today he would let down his guards. "Go to your Capitol, Princess."

"Flirt with all the other boys,"

"Go to those fancy parties, dance with people, all you want to do but don't waste your time trying to sober me up. It's a lost cause."He said, easily building back up his walls. "If that is what you want."

'What would you say?"

"What if I don't want that?"She asked. "What if I don't want to go to those parties? What if I don't want to dance with other people? What if I want to dance with you?"She whispered, taking a step closer towards him. "What if I only went to those parties because you were there?"

"Could you?"

"I was drunk during those parties."He muttered with a shake of his head. "And I was not because I wanted to make sure you got home safe."She said back. "I wanted to make sure you were okay."She added softly. "And why would you do that?"