Chapter Eleven

"She did what?"

"She did what?"

Tavius had hoped that his little brother would put up the vampire and stay in the guest room to hover protectively over her, but he wasn't so lucky. Almost immediately, August was downstairs and at the entryway, doing a reasonably impression of Tavius' high-strung twin Tavia.

"What happened? What is this?"

Curious about Sonya's warning before she'd magicked herself out of the estate, Tavius had opened the front door. He'd been half-expecting to see her on the front porch fending off a crowd of werewolves or teethed monstrosities with her staff and one of Libby's pancakes as weapons. But no, she wasn't; or rather, if she was, he wouldn't know because the porch was gone. Or to be more accurate, blocked. What should have been a view of the lovely driveway (and Libby's not-so-lovely signage) was interrupted by a solid wall of gray, pebbled flesh.

"It's a ward of some sort." He explained to August. Tavius tapped his chin, tempted to reach out and touch the strange surface. The pebbles, he realized upon further inspection, were tiny mouths bristling with needle-like teeth. Cute, but in a way that made him rethink his urge to poke. "Or she's turned the estate into a creature from another dimension and trapped us inside. The windows are blocked, too." He couldn't hide the intrigued tone of his voice. This was quite the thrill.

August's expression turned into a mix of horror and sibling exasperation. "Do not be entertained by this."

"Too late. This is exciting. You never bring exciting things home, you know. I love a good plot twist." Too bad Tavia was in Morocco.