Chapter Forty Eight

Yasuko roared, loud enough that the ground shook

Yasuko roared, loud enough that the ground shook. Her tail lashed over her head, slamming down a few feet to Emil's left. But the man was undeterred, sprinting across rocky ground to his companions.

Tavius sighted the signature white stones arrange in a trapezoid. Within was a pool of pale pink liquid, viscous and bubbling. A teleportation portal.

"Shit!" He cursed, stumbling to his feet. His mind was hazy, and his balance was off. Worse, he had no magic prepared for this sort of thing. Why August? Why were they grabbing him?

With another snarl, Yasuko leapt into the air. She was large, though, and slow about it. By the time she was fully aloft, the portal started to glow. It was priming for transportation. Hovering on the other side of it, hands gripping the navigation stone that would guide its destination, was the blonde Albanian.

"Him!" Tavius shouted at the dragon, not sure if she would listen to him but hoping all the same. "Hit him! Stop the portal!" Without a navigator, the portal would lie dormant.

Yasuko snarled, but she ignored Tavius' advice, slapping her tail against the blue molten puddle that was her nest. Acidic venom splashed everywhere, making several bystanders cry out. Tavius knew he was immune, but he flinched all the same. In his fist, three more twigs curdled and broke apart. There were only eight left in the bundle now.

Cursing under his breath, he jumped over a moaning man, wishing he'd had the forethought to bring Libby's kitchen knife with him. Emil was an athletic man. Big, yes, but he also had the advantage of a head start. He was less than twenty feet from the portal, ready to fling August within.