Chapter One

A young boy carried a basket of apples and oranges to a tall tree. He looked up at the tree that reached towards the heavenly skies and began climbing it. Holding the basket with one of his hands, he gripped the bark with his free hand as he climbed. He was not worried about falling, for he had climbed many trees beforehand. That was how he got fruit.

The boy finally reached the top and saw a good-sized treehouse. He went inside and looked around. "Father?" he called.

An older man suddenly appeared in front of the boy. He looked so old that he could easily be mistaken for the grandfather, rather than the father. "Did you get the fruits that I told you to collect?" the man asked his son.

"Yes, father." He set the basket on the wooden floor. "There are plenty of fruits in this basket to last us the whole week."

His dad bent down and examined the fruit. "Son, there are only five apples and five oranges. I told you to get thirty altogether."

The young boy sighed and looked down. "I am sorry, father."

The man got up and placed a hand on his son's shoulder. "What happened to you, son? You used to do such great work around here, and now, you are doing poorly."

"I-I am sorry, father. I promise that I will try harder."

"Something is obviously on your mind."

"N-nothing is on my mind right now, father."

"You sighed and are stammering. Something is definitely up."

His son sighed again.

"Tell me. After all, I am your dad, and I will completely understand."

"Promise that you will not get mad?"

"Of course, I will not get mad. I just need to know."

The boy took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I...I am lonely."

The dad raised an eyebrow, confused by the son's statement. "Huh? Lonely? But you are not here all alone. I am here with you."

"True, but...there is still an empty place in my heart, and it needs something to fill it."

"Someone."

"Someone?"

The man nodded. "I see where you are coming from, son."

His son looked up at him. "You do?"

"What you need is the love of your life."

"The love of my life?"

"Your true love." He smiled wickedly. "And I know who."