Chapter Thirteen

I was on full alert now. Sweat poured from both of my palms.

"The...g-gift of death?" I repeated, giving away my fear.

"Yes." One of his hands was behind his back. "You will love it. It is a gift that will send you to death."

I did not know what to do or say. It was as if I were paralyzed.

Kyle would not want to kill me...would he?

My teeth chattering, I watched as he revealed his hidden hand, which had something in it. An object that would put me to death.

Or...not.

I forced myself to stop chattering and stared at what he was holding. What he was giving me. And he was right. It did send me to death, but not literally.

Kyle showed me a bouquet of flowers, and they were roses. Roses are my favorite! They were bright red, as if they had just bloomed, and there was a big, pink bow attached to the flowers in front.

"I hope that you like them," he said. "It is my little gift to say thank you for endangering your life and saving mine."

I could feel my heart beating rapidly, for he had scared me, and placed a hand on my chest. I forced on a smile, not wanting him to be sorry that he gave me a scare.

Why did I really believe that he would kill me? He was too nice to do such an evil task.

"Kyle," I finally said a word. "This...is a magnificent surprise." I took the bouquet of roses. "Thank you so much."

"No need to thank me," Kyle responded. "It was my pleasure, and you deserve it."

"You know that you did not have to repay me."

"Oh, but I had to. I could not live with myself if I did not get my heroine a marvelous present to show her how much I appreciate her."

I brushed a strand of my hair back. "It was really thoughtful of you. Plus, red roses are my favorite flowers."

"They are?" He chuckled. "What a coincidence. I did not know that." He winked.

I did not have to guess that I was blushing like crazy. He was my dream boy. The entire package. Attractive. Kind. I had a feeling in my heart that he cared for me.

But did he feel the same way that I felt about him?

"Any plans tonight?" Kyle asked.

I laid the roses in the cabin and next to the doorway. I looked back up at him. "Plans?"

"Yeah. You have any?"

I giggled softly and pointed to the sky. "You see the sky?"

He glanced at the night sky, and then back at me. "I am not dumb. Of course, I see the sky."

"And you know what color it is as of now."

"A pretty blue that is not as beautiful and eye-catching as you."

Both of my cheeks were hot. Though, not as hot as him. "Stop that," I teased.

He chuckled again. "What? It is the truth."

"Here is a truth for you. The sky is a dark blue, which means that it is nighttime." I pointed at my nightdress. "See this dress? It is a nightdress that you wear at night. Throughout the night. While you are sleeping."

"Sleeping? What a wonderful way to get that pretty nightdress of yours wrinkly."

"Oh, please. What plans would I have other than to sleep?"

"Well...I was wondering..."

I placed my hands on my waist. "Yes?"

"...if you would like to hang out with me."

I thought that I did not hear him correctly. "...hang out with you?"

"Only if you want to."

"Right now?"

"Please."

I gently rubbed the back of my neck, feeling unsure. Actually, I did not want to. Not after what David and Garcia told me and the others.

"I-I do not know...maybe we can wait until it is morning."

Kyle's face saddened. "Do you not like me?"

"Kyle, do not think like that. Of course, I like you."

"Then we should hang out tonight. I already set up a picnic in the forest just for the two of us. I prepared great foods, like steak, mashed potatoes—"

I interrupted him. "I need to catch up on my beauty rest. I will absolutely be miserable if I do not sleep. You do not want that, do you?"

He got down on his knees and gently took my hand into his. "Please. I am begging you. You are the first friend whom I ever had. I have never met anyone who is kindhearted and understanding as you. Please. At least spend fifteen minutes with me. Heck, I would be happy if you were with me for one second!"

Okay, now I felt like a jerk. He did not have any friends and desired to be close friends with me. He was going out of his way to make that happen, but not crazily. Poor guy. He was lonely.

David and Garcia warned us to never enter the forest without either of them or Melinda or Belinda. But that was because of two things. The dangerous man who killed people for fun. And the curse. The fact that you lose your memories.

I realized that I could not lose my memories if I was in Forgotten Forest for a short amount of time. And Kyle was no man. He was around my age. Only a boy. And like I said before, he would not be the kind of person who would end my life.

"Alright," I said, making a decision. "I will hang out with you. But it cannot be too long."

"Deal!" Kyle stood back up and jumped up and down. "I am the luckiest boy in the world!" Still holding my hand, he led me into Forgotten Forest.

That was when I noticed the hunting knife tucked in the back pocket of his pants.

Did I make the wrong decision?