Chapter Twenty-Four

Collin and I sat on a log together and watched as Debra, Debbie, and Ethan were starting a fire. Debra and Debbie had told the boys what they thought of my best friend. That he was innocent and therefore, being framed for three killings that he did not commit. Unfortunately for us, none of the boys believed that he would do no such thing, for they were too convinced that he was guilty.

"The evidence lies within him and the bottom of his shoes," one of the boys had stated.

Surprisingly - and thankfully - Debbie and Debra had convinced Ethan enough to join our side. He told us that he had a hint of doubt that Collin was the killer.

"My brain is telling me that he did it," he had explained. "However, my gut is telling me that he did not, and I know that you should always listen to your gut."

The two girls informed him of the plan that Debra had in mind. You know. The one where my best friend, who is not at all my love interest and only a friend, and I pretend to be a couple.

Ethan believed that was a great plan and volunteered to help us out. That is why he was with us. He apologized to Collin and made a small amount of fire. Debra and Debbie gathered some of the pieces of wood that were stacked near the campsite and tossed them into the fire, causing the fire to grow bigger until it was a good size.

Collin and I stared intently at the campfire, the flames moving back and forth rapidly and crackling against the wood.

Talk about satisfying!

Debbie leaned over and whispered to me and Collin so that nobody - really, the killer - would not hear.

"Okay, you lovebirds. Just cuddle with each other on this log and flirt. Make it look like that you are interested in each other." She winked. "Got it?"

I wonder if she actually ships us.

I gave her a thumbs-up and whispered back. "We will try. Although, it will be hard, considering that we are not in love."

"That is the spirit! And if you think that you cannot do it for yourselves, do it for each other. Need I remind you that this guy has an obsession with Ari and could murder Collin next. And do it for Josh. He did not deserve to have his life ended like that!"

Collin shuddered and hugged himself. "W-we know. We know what we are supposed to do and why we are doing it."

"Good," Debra said. "And Collin, do not look so afraid. Look cute for Ari."

I noticed him blushing a little, and he rested his head on my shoulder and smiled.

"No, Collin!" Debra snapped. "Ari is the one who is supposed to have her head on your shoulder. She is the one who is timid and fears for her life."

He quickly pulled away from my shoulder and adjusted his glasses. "S-sorry. I did not know." Then to my surprise, he gave Ethan and the two girls a sickening glare. "Ari is not the next person to be brutally murdered. I am!"

"This is different," Ethan spoke.

"Why? 'Cause I am a man? A white man?"

"You are a young man. Just like me. We have to do our part in protecting the ladies."

He climbed to his feet and clenched his hands into tight fists. "Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, I have my own problems? That I am not the man whom every girl dreams of? Strong and smart and attractive."

"Actually, you are incredibly smart," Debbie pointed out.

"With incredible intelligence comes poor skills of communication, and because I never had the courage to talk to anyone because I was afraid how they would think of me—"

Ethan cut him off. "We think - no, we know - that you are cool. You built a robot all by yourself, for crying out loud! I wish that I could do that!"

"And you have had conversations with me, Ethan, Josh - when he was alive - Debra, and Debbie," I added.

"Well, guess what?" Collin continued on with his rant. "I have severe anxiety disorder. I have panic attacks at the understandable and definitely not understandable times! That is why I have trouble sleeping at night!"

I felt sorry for him. After all, panic attacks are the worst! "My goodness. I did not know that."

"You guys never asked." He plopped back down on the log and went back to resting his head on my shoulder, and I noticed his face saddening. "Ari is braver than me, and I am 'sorry' that I cannot be that type of man."

Debra, Debbie, Ethan, and I had worried looks on our faces.

"Collin..." Debra started.

All of a sudden, we heard loud, rustling noises by the forest and behind me and Collin.

"Get in your positions," Debbie whispered quickly. She and the other two ran off and disappeared into the campsite.

I was about to turn around, when the rustling stopped.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. On my free shoulder.

I let out a shrill scream and jumped up from the log, thinking that it was the killer.

But it was not.

"Ari, calm down. I did not mean to startle you."

"...Kyle?" I spun around and saw Kyle standing behind the log. He was smiling.

"Hi, Ari. I could not wait to see you."

"Ah!" Debbie and Ethan cried as they appeared from their hiding place and rushed over to us.

"Ethan! Debbie!" I got in front of Kyle and held out my arms and hands. "This is not the killer. He is just a friend of mine."

Debbie and Ethan stopped in their tracks. Their chests were heaving up and down, and they did not look good.

"What is wrong with you two?" I asked.

"It...it is Debra," Ethan confessed. "She is dead."