Chapter Thirty-Three

Collin and I were alone in the girls' cabin and sitting on the edge of my bed. Collin had to practically drag me away from my dead sister. I was sobbing on my best friend's - now my boyfriend's - shoulder and shivered. I was cold and full of both fear...

...and anger.

"Why?!" I cried at the top of my lungs. "Why did she have to die?! Why did...my wonderful sister... have to suffer such a horrific death?"

Collin held me close and rocked me back and forth. "The killer is a psycho, Ari," he reminded me. "He is obsessed with you and does not truly love you. Not like I do."

I sniffed and looked up at him, and he wiped all my tears. "But...it makes no sense as to why he would put her through all that. Sewing her and possibly beating her to death. I-I love her. I still do, even though that she is dead! S-she and I are related!"

"Hmm. I do believe that I know why he murdered your sister."

"You do?"

"I think so."

I let the tips of my fingers run through his hair. "Of course you do. You are so smart."

He cleared his throat. "This is my theory. He murdered Debra, Debbie, and Ethan because you were friends with them. He was jealous of your friendships with all three of them and desired to be rid of them. Who knows? I might be his next target."

"No!" I hugged him tightly. Like my sister would have done to me. "You will not die! You will not end up like the others! I will not allow it!"

His bottom jaw shook a little. "I could be next. I did not think of that." He leaped off the bed. "I could be next!" He glanced at me. "And...we kissed! You and I kissed! Right on the lips!" He started breathing fast as if he were having trouble breathing. "What if he saw it? He could kill me at any moment! Any moment now. Maybe in my sleep!"

I had a serious look plastered on my face and got off the bed. "That will not happen, Collin." I took his hands into mine. "Not on my watch." Letting go of one hand and holding onto the other, I led him outside and to the pile of wood.

"Ari? H-how are you sure that he will not kill me? I-I do not want you to get hurt or even accidentally murdered by him."

I let go of his hand. "I will be careful. Extra careful." There was an axe lying on top of some flat wood, and I picked it up and raised it into the air. "He will pay for murdering Melinda. I will chop him in half."

"Halt! Who goes there?!"

Collin and I jumped, and I nearly dropped the axe. We spun around and were surprised to see a girl with a bow and arrow. Aiming for us. She had long, brown hair that was in a pigtail and was wearing a blue shirt, black pants, and black flats.

"Who the heck are you?" Collin demanded, sounding brave and trying to act like it.

"My name is Margaret Morgan. I am the Monster Protector."