Chapter Fourteen

Kyle had a tight grip on my hand, the ends of his fingers and thumbs squeezing my skin. He was taking me deep into the forest. Far away from the campsite. The deeper that we got, the darker that it became, blackness covering the trees and ground and surrounding us.

"Y-you are not going to the middle of the forest," I stammered, for I was nervous. "A-are you?"

"Oh, but I have to," he answered quickly. "That is where I set up our picnic."

"You could have not set it closer to the campsite?"

"And let your friends and those counselors overhear the conversation that we will make? I do not think so! Besides, it is better this way. We will be alone. There will be no interruptions, and nobody else will see me." He came to a halt in the darkness. "This is it. Welcome to our romantic picnic."

Romantic? Did he say that?

I could not see the picnic setup, so I squinted through the darkness.

Spread out on the dirt ground was a pink and white checkered blanket. It was a large blanket. More than two people could be on it.

On top of it were a small, brown basket and a white candle. The picnic basket was on one of the corners of the blanket, and the candle was located at the center of the blanket and lit up, its little fire swaying back and forth. Left and right.

"Do you like it?" Kyle asked as he let go of my hand. "I did this all for you. I even made the candle dim to set a romantic tone."

There he goes again! He said romantic!

"Kyle...this is..."

"Lovely? Beautiful? Astonishing?"

"...completely unnecessary."

He became shocked. "W-what do you mean that it is completely unnecessary?" His eyebrows narrowed, and his smile turned upside down. "Do you know how long I prepared for this moment?"

"Kyle..." I grasped both of his hands and rubbed my thumbs on top of them. "...I did not mean it that way."

He glared at me, and his eyes softened. "Then...why did you say it?"

"I am sorry. I chose the wrong words. What I should have said was that...it is very sweet of you, but you did not have to do this."

"...oh." He pulled away one of his hands and wiped his forehead with the back of his sleeve. "Phew! Thank gosh for that. I actually thought that you did not like my second gift to you."

"I do like it. It is much appreciated. But you do not have to go out of your way to befriend me."

His eyes widened, and he blinked a few times. "I do not?"

"Of course not. We can be friends. Unless..." I remembered when he twice called the picnic scene romantic. "...you desire for us to be something more than friends."

"No, no. We can be friends." He hugged me, and I hugged him back. "You are kind to me. Caring. I have never met a person like that."

I was a bit surprised. "You have not?"

He squeezed me, but not too hard. "No. Never."

Soon, we were on the picnic blanket and had all the food out. There was so much to choose from. Chips and guacamole. Stuffing. Turkey sandwiches. You name it!

I was almost finished with a turkey sandwich. Kyle was eating a small bowl of rice and watching me. He set down the bowl and picked up a plate of mashed potatoes. He held it out to me.

"Eat this next," he said. "You are not leaving here until you are full."

I made what was left of my sandwich disappear and took the mashed potatoes. He handed me a plastic fork, and I began eating them.

If I had to guess, I would say that I had already spent almost a half an hour in Forgotten Forest. I was a bit hungry when asked to join him for a picnic, and now, I was nearly full. I planned on saying goodbye to Kyle and exiting the forest after I was done with my mashed potatoes.

"The food was delicious," I complimented after I swallowed my last bite. "I am full."

"You sure about that?" Kyle questioned, smirking.

"Yes. Very." I rubbed my belly. "Which means that it is time for me to head back and..." I yawned. "...go to sleep."

I could tell that he was sad that I was going. He scrambled to his feet and held out his hand for me to take.

"A deal is a deal, Ari. I promised that I would not keep you long." I took his hand, and he helped me up. "Shall I take you back to your cabin?"

"Please. I do not know the ways around this forest."

He chuckled. "Maybe I will show you the ways some day."

I shrugged and smiled at him. "Perhaps."

The date - if you are willing to call it that - went well. I thought that it was going to be awkward and weird, but it turned out to be fun.

I liked hanging out with Kyle.

"Where do you live?" I asked him.

"On the other side of the forest," Kyle explained to me. "Near the edge."

"Cool."

"Do you live in Forlot, Ari?"

"Yes. My parents, sister and I moved here last year."

"Fantastic. Just fantastic."

We were soon out of Forgotten Forest and on a dirt path. Kyle directed me to the path.

"Just follow the path. It will lead you back to the campsite." I gasped as he kissed my cheek and ran into the forest.

"Kyle! Where are you going?!"

No response. He was gone.

I sighed and started walking up the path. I took a look at the lake that was on the left side of the path.

And I screamed.

I spotted Valerie's body as it floated to the bottom of the lake.

Her face filled with terror.