Chapter Seventeen

He stared at me for the longest time, as if he were unsure of himself or what to say. "Pardon me?"

A part of me was saying that he was the one responsible. He killed Valerie. Another part of me was saying that he was innocent.

I was praying that if it was him, then he did not mean to kill her. That her death was truly accidental.

"Did...you...murder...Valerie?" My voice caught in my throat when I had finished.

"Ari..." He placed his palms on my shoulders. "...are you saying that I caused that bully's death? Me? A friend of yours?"

I did not have the urge to jerk away. "I need to know the truth. Did you...or did you not...kill my classmate? If so, was it on accident or on purpose?"

He slowly took his hands off my shoulders. "How can you accuse me of such evil? Are you only asking me that because I said that I would kill anyone who kept us apart?"

I was worried that he would get angry and upset, whip back out his knife and stab me right then and there and stop only when I was bleeding out and would be as good as dead.

Yeah, yeah. Say that I was exaggerating and overworking my imagination. I am a main character and cannot die when we are not even on chapter twenty! But would you fans of ours think the same thing?

"Uh, you know what? Forget about what I said."

Unfortunately, Kyle did not let go of my question and curiosity so easily. "Forget? How can I forget such a serious question that requires a serious answer?" he said.

At this point, I was mad. Frustrated. Sad. Not at him. But at me and everything involving Valerie's death.

Like I said before, I had the sinking feeling that her dying was not accidental. Somebody murdered her, and I needed to get some clear answers. At least one to make the invisible, dark cloud that was floating above me lighten up.

"I am sorry," I apologized. "I am anything but filled with joy right now. I feel...a bit depressed. I just really want answers surrounding the death."

Even as I said that, Kyle still did not look pleased that I had accused him. "Ask your question again."

"...what?"

"Repeat what you asked of me, and I will answer truthfully. I promise."

"Why? I told you. Forget it."

"Then allow me." He patted the top of my head and finally went back to smiling his sweet and attractive smile. "You asked me if I murdered that stupid bully, and I can safely and happily say that is a big, resounding no. I had nothing to do with her death."

Somehow, I believed him.

I blushed and hugged him tightly. "I am really sorry - truly sorry - that I accused you of murder. My bad."

He hugged me back, and I realized that he was playing with my hair. "Why did you think that I would do that? I thought that we were friends. I thought that you had kindness in you."

I pulled away from him and wrapped a strand of my hair around my finger, looking at the ground. "You do not have to be friends with me if you are too upset by my assumption," I said sadly. "I am sad. Mad. So confused! I-I just...desire to know what actually took place before Valerie's death. And...my assumption that you killed her...it slipped out." I teared up and sniffed. "I so am sorry..."

I listened and waited for Kyle to tell me to not make any excuses for my actions. Instead, he placed two of his fingers under my chin and lifted up my head so that I was staring at him.

"I understand," he said. "So was I at a point in time. I was so confused. So upset. But then, I managed to find my way out of that hollow shell."

I sniffed again. "H-how...?"

"I can show you." He kissed my cheeks. "If you let me." He held out his hand. "Take my hand. Come with me. Be in this forest forever." He whispered in my ear. "Be with me...forever."

His voice. It was so relaxing. And his eyes. They were so dreamy. As if they were trying to hypnotize me.

And his offer. It was so...tempting.

No hesitation was in me, and I went to take his hand.

"I...would love to..." I started.

My hand was a couple of inches away from his, when I heard a voice.

"Ari!"

No. Not Kyle's voice. This voice that called my name was too recognizable.

That was because it was Collin's voice!

"Ari!" he shouted. He was in Forgotten Forest and running towards me. "Do not trust that! Do not trust!"

"Collin?!" I was shocked to see him.

"It will kill you! It can kill!"