Chapter Six

I could not believe what I saw and heard and scrambled up to the window. I stretched out my arm and tried to touch the window, attempting to put my hand over the handprint and measure. But the window was up too high.

I gave up and turned to the other girls. "Gals!" I called out.

"What is it, Ari?" one of the girls responded. There was annoyance in her voice.

"Look at this window!" I motioned to the window where the mysterious hand had been. "There was a hand on it."

All the girls took a glance at the window, and unfortunately for me, none of them seemed to care.

"Liar," another girl claimed. "I see no hand. Or anything for that matter."

"Did you not catch the word 'was'? There 'was,' however, it slipped away and left a handprint."

"What do you mean? There are no prints," a third girl stated.

The crub? There definitely was a print!

Could she and possibly the other girls not see it?

I turned my attention back to the window - and saw no prints.

The handprint had disappeared.

"B-but..." I stammered.

"Do not do that," the girl who was annoyed of me demanded. "We are not on Tiniess and Turb."

We might as well had been because what occurred...

...did not compare to what was about to pop up later in the week.

Melinda and Belinda entered our cabin, and Belinda blew her whistle again.

"Okay, girls!" Melinda said happily. "We will be taking a tour around the campsite and the lake that is down the trail."

"Whatever you do, stay with the group and do not - do not! - take a step into Forgotten Forest," Belinda added.

I gulped and became concerned as soon as she said that.

Was someone...in the forest? And did he or she need help?

"Why can we not go in Forgotten Forest?" a girl wondered.

Belinda wiped sweat off her forehead. "Seeing that Forlot gets no sunlight because there is no sun, it is not safe to go in the forest alone or without a counselor. It is extremely dark with the trees covering most of the sky. Pitch black. Plus, the forest is very enormous. You could wander forever."

The girls looked at one another, and then back at the counselors.

"Do not be afraid. You will able to explore Forgotten Forest soon," Melinda reassured us. "Us counselors know all the ways around that forest. As long as you stick with us or David or Garcia, we promise that none of you will get lost."

"When will we hike through the forest?" I asked.

My sister gave me a sweet smile. "We will be hiking at least twice. Once this week, and once next week. Us counselors will let you know ahead of time." She clapped her hands. "Come outside, and we will meet up with the boys and begin the tour."

She and Belinda watched as each girl exited the cabin. I was the last one to leave.

"Sis?" I whispered. "Can we talk while we are on the tour? I need to tell you something."

She patted my shoulder. "Sorry, Ari. David and Garcia expect me to help out with the tour. But we can chat during lunch."

"But it cannot wait. I—"

"Come on, Melinda," Belinda urged as she gently pushed her to the outside world. "We did not get these jobs to not work."

My sister and her friend left, and I was now alone in the cabin. I did not desire to go on the tour. I could not.

Somebody was out there. And needed help.

I ran out of the cabin and to the back. I scanned the trees lines. Nothing out of the ordinary.

All three cabins were close to the forest, so I had the feeling that we were not alone.

I glared at the window. No handprint. And the window was pretty high. None of my classmates could reach it.

But one of the counselors could do it. David, Garcia, Belinda, or Melinda.

If that were the case, then was one of them playing a prank on me and the girls?

Or...was somebody hiding in the forest? Spying on us? Did whoever it was need actual help?

Or was it a trap?

I decided to forget about it for now and was going to head back to the group...

...when I heard it again. Louder this time.

"Help me! Help!"

My heart was racing. My legs were quivering.

What should I do?

"Help! I need help!"

I spotted a pair of arms waving in the distance of the forest. My teeth chattered. I had to at least go and check it out.

I dashed into Forgotten Forest, zigzagged to avoid the trees, and saw the person.

Saw the boy who was drowning in quicksand.