Chapter Twenty-Nine

Kyle must have heard my pleads because he slowly moved his head in my direction and loosened his grips on her throat. Debbie dropped to the ground - and did not move a muscle.

"Eep!" I dashed over to them, Collin following, and got down on my knees, accidentally sliding them in the process. They were now caked with dirt, but I could care less, for there was much more on my mind.

I learned how to perform CPR at an early age and did not waste any time. I placed both of my hands on Debbie's chest and pushed up and down. Up and down. Up and down. It felt like an eternity.

I lowered my face to hers and put my mouth over hers, giving her breaths. Breathing for her.

A flash of light hit me and Debbie, and I raised my head and noticed Collin with a camera.

"I am saving this for the scrapbook," Collin commented.

I was mad at him. This was not the time to joke around!

"Collin!" I snapped. "Do not just stand there! Help me! Get my sister and the other counselors!"

"You cannot make me. Besides, why do you not get your new boyfriend to help you? He is obviously much smarter and more muscular than I am."

"Debbie's life is on the line!"

"It is too late for her anyway. She would have woken up by now."

"Ugh!" I continued pushing up and down. "She has to make it. She has too!" I teared up. "There cannot be another murder..."

My best friend put away his camera and grabbed me. He pulled me away from Debbie.

Or...Debbie's body.

"There is nothing that you can do, Ari. She is gone. Debbie is dead."

Taking his words in, I buried my face in my hands. "No...why is everybody whom I know dying?"

Collin helped me up and dusted dirt off my clothes. He gently grabbed ahold of my hands and lowered them to my sides. "Shh. It is not your fault. You did everything that you could. You did CPR perfectly."

I sniffed and looked at him. "Then...why is she dead?"

"Ask him." He pointed at Kyle. "He is the one who killed her."

I faced Kyle with tears in my eyes. Tears that were streaming. Tears that were covering my face. He had his hands in his pockets and kicked a small rock with his foot. The rock flew into the air and landed somewhere else.

He was looking at me. "A-Ari..." he started. "...I am so, so sorry. I-I—"

"Why?" I managed to speak. "W-why did you murder...a friend of mine? Why did you choke her? Why did you kill her?!"

"I-I had no choice. I swear."

"What do you mean that you had no choice?! Explain that to me! What did she do wrong?!"

I spotted tears in the corners of his eyes. "I swear, Ari. I wish that I could take that back. I wish that there was another way. But the truth is...Debbie was choking me."

I was confused. "Debbie? She was choking you?"

He nodded. "I do not know why she was. I came back down from my home. From my treehouse. And went to this exact spot to gather some berries because my father needed them. As I was doing so, Debbie came up to me, and I was about to strike a conversation with her. You know. Like a gentleman. Out of nowhere, she grasped my throat and squeezed it, choking me."

I whimpered. "Oh my gosh..."

"But we saw you choking her!" Collin pointed out.

Kyle nodded again. "You saw me defending myself. I do not know how I did it - I am still in dismay that I did it - but I managed to make a move and return the favor. I got ahold of her throat and choked her."

I opened my mouth to say something, but I hesitated, closed my mouth, and waited for him to continue. I desired to hear more.

"What else could I do? She was going to kill me! My anxiety got the best of me. It felt like that I was not in control." He dropped to his knees and burst out crying. "Oh, Ari! I am sorry! She was going to murder me and take me away from you!"

My best friend rolled his eyes. "Oh, please."

I got back down on my knees and took his hands into my mine. "Kyle, shh. Shh. I understand. Everything will be okay. I promise."

He looked at me and sniffed. "If I could take what I did back...I would."

I hugged him tightly and rubbed his back. "Shh..."

Just then, a man walked over to us. He was very old. He had long, white hair and a long, white beard. He wore a white and gray robe and gray socks with brown sandals. His face was wrinkly, and he was holding a long, brown staff in his left hand.

"Hello, children," he said softly. "I am glad to have company. It is always lonely in these parts."

I climbed back to my feet and helped Kyle up. We wiped away each other's tears and faced the old man.

"Who are you?" I asked the old man.

"This is my father," Kyle introduced. "His name is Sinosum."

"Sinosum?" Collin repeated. "What kind of name is that?! Not as pretty as Ari."

Sinosum chuckled. "Young lady, you must be Ari."

"Yep. That is my name. How did you know?"

"My son has been talking about you. Your looks. Your personality. Your pretty face."

I blushed and giggled.

"I do hope that you are here to stay because I am making the Ethan for supper."

I raised an eyebrow. "The Ethan?"

He walked off and soon returned, dragging something behind him. He let go and showed us.

I felt like passing out.

It was a dead body. Ethan's dead body.