Chapter Twenty-Three

Before anyone could respond to what I realized, the bottom of the elevator hit what I assumed was solid ground. The seven of us flew up and back, our own bottoms hitting the floor of the elevator. We moaned in pain, and the elevator dinged. Surprisingly, its doors opened with no problem, and we were greeted by darkness. The darkness of a room.

We sat up, and I squinted through the blackness.

The room was not completely dark. There was a lightbulb hanging on the ceiling, which was dim, but still contained light.

The walls were dark blue, and the floor was grey and had stains of different colors. Green. Yellow.

Even red.

The room was pretty narrow and contained wooden crates on the left and right.

And my eyes widened when I spotted the woman. The young woman who was hiding between two of the crates that were to the left.

She noticed my gaze, and before I could even look away, she quickly and quietly got up and tugged on a long piece of rope that was in her hands.

"Hello, you lovely children," the woman spoke. "It seems that you have gotten too close to the truth. I am afraid that I have no choice but to do what I am about to do to you."

She slowly walked towards us and the elevator, and I scrambled to the elevator buttons and pushed each and every one of them fast, praying that the doors would close, and the elevator would send us up.

But no.

The elevator was broken. It would be unable to do its duties.

"By the way, you may call me Ms. Taylor," the young woman said. "Ms. Hayley Taylor."