Chapter Sixteen

You might have assumed that Triste and I would get together and when I kissed him, I admittedly had feelings for him. I will not deny that somewhere in me, I truly loved him. But here is where the problem comes in.

He is a wolf, fully a wolf, and I am a human, fully a human. Has it ever been canon that two fictional characters who are completely different species fall in love and become a couple? No. The answer would be a big, fat no.

Now I am not saying that there are not couples like those. If there are, great. Their relationship makes them unique. It is not a rehash of a relationship that we have seen time and time again. The Lord Himself knows that we already have enough remakes in this day in age.

By the way, why can we not come up with anything original and not ruin masterpieces by shoving political views down people's throats?

Anyway, as much as I love and care for Triste, we could not be together. We were not from different worlds, considering that I had lived with him and the other animals who reside in the woods for most of my life. And we were opposite genders. However, we were different species. It just would never work.

Man. Telling you guys this part makes me want to be a wolf. Not a werewolf. Just a wolf.

So why did I kiss him in the first place? One, because he had been suffering in my absence and deserved a little kiss from me. He had been starving himself, and it was easy to tell because his stomach was thin and skinny.

And two, well...it was to show my parents whose boss. I also hoped that they would ban me from the kingdom.

I pulled my lips away from Triste's, ending our kiss, and turned to my parents. I had on the evilest - actually, I would not call it evil because I am far from being evil, so let us go with creepiest - smirk and crossed my arms.

As you might have guessed, Mom and Dad freaked out. They acted as if their lives were already over. Mom fainted - actually, she pretended to faint - and Dad went over to a wall and started smashing his head against it.

"Louis!" Amanda screamed at my dad. "Stop it! Stop this right now!"

The two knights, whom I found out later were Charles and Nathan, ran up to my dad and got ahold of him. They tried pulling him away from the wall.

Mom was lying on the floor and breathing heavily. "That...that is not my daughter," she said just loud enough for us to hear.

Charles and Nathan finally pulled Dad away from the wall and spun him around. I could see stains of blood on both the wall and my father's forehead.

"We need to treat you right away, sir," the knight called Nathan said. "Before the bleeding becomes fatal."

Dad did not reply. He just stared at me. Stared into my soul with an angry expression.

"You and Mom are nuts," I remarked to him. "I kissed an animal. So what? Now I know what you are going to say. That the animals in the woods do not clean themselves and carry diseases."

"We do not carry any kinds of diseases," Grand Wolf announced. I assumed that he was telling Amanda this because he was looking at her. "We are nothing like the animals from the real world. We have feelings, clean after ourselves, and are great companions for other creatures."

Triste raised a paw. "Grand Wolf. May I say something? It is for our dear readers."

The old wolf smiled. "Go right ahead."

Triste turned to you, the reader or readers. "Please. Do not attempt to kiss any animal. It is just plain disgusting, and you might end up getting real sick depending on the animal. I repeat. Do not try this at home."

"We should take a recess," Amanda suggested. She clapped her hands. "Break time!"

Charles and Nathan left with my dad, and my mother quickly got up and followed them. Everybody else got up from their seats and moved. Fairita floated around the room before exiting as well.

"Can we go home now?" Triste asked me.

I opened my mouth to speak, but Amanda beat me to it.

"Maria, I am Amanda Princess. These three princesses next to me are the Colemans. The one in the pink dress is Abigail. The one in the green dress is Agatha. And the one in the blue dress is Amelia. She is the youngest sister of the three."

I thought that it would be polite to wave at the Colemans, so I did, and they waved back.

"Those two knights who took your father are Charles Blake and Nathan Nash. They are my best knights."

"Well, I appreciate them stopping my dad," I said.

"If you could, please stay for a while longer."

I took a step back and held up my hands, shaking them left and right. "Sorry. I am not interested in any princess roles."

"Look, Maria. I get you. I see what you were saying earlier, and the Colemans and I are touched."

"That is good. Now, if you will excuse me..."

"Maria needs a drink," Grand Wolf said.

I looked at him. "What?"

He and the other wolves gently pushed me out of the room and down a hallway. We soon stopped.

"Why did you tell them that I was going to get a drink?" I asked the old wolf.

Before he could answer, we heard a voice. Fairita's.

"That twerp. How dare she ruins what is already perfect. It is not political correctness. It is...right. Blah! I have destroyed this kingdom for too long to have a brat demolish it. I need to get rid of her. And banning her from the kingdom is not enough. She needs to die."