Chapter Nine

"Josh!" Debbie shouted at the top of her lungs.

"No! Josh!" Debra screamed as well.

In case that it was not obvious, every girl except me has a crush on Josh.

"Crub!" Ethan snapped. It was hard for him to witness this, considering that he and Josh are best friends. "Hurry! Set him on the bed!"

Two of the boys volunteered to help. One carefully lifted up the unconscious boy's head, and the other gently grabbed his ankles and lifted up his legs and feet. They moved him to his bed and set him down on top of the pillows and blankets.

Ethan was rummaging through his suitcase and took out a dry cloth and a pack of wipes. He shoved the pack in my hands and ordered, "Wipe off the blood. I will try to stop the bleeding. He scrambled to the little bathroom to, I guessed, soak the cloth.

I acted fast and opened the pack. I sat on the edge of the bed and pulled out a clean wipe. I began wiping away the blood, my hand shaking in the process.

Who did this? Who hurt Josh? Was he even alive?

Ethan soon returned and clutched the cloth that was now soaking wet. Drops of water fell from the cloth and hit the wooden floor. He shoved me, not hard, and sat where I had sat. He pressed the wet cloth against Josh's neck.

"He...he has a cut in his neck," I announced.

"Is it a deep cut?!" Debbie panicked. "Will he make it? He has to!"

Ethan pulled his cloth away, checked the spot, and placed it back. "It is a slight cut. Not deep," he confirmed. "That is why there is not much blood." He checked the cut again and held out an open hand, tossing the cloth onto the bed. "Could someone get me a band-aid? I have a box of them in my suitcase."

One of the boys rushed to Ethan's suitcase and found the band-aids. He took one out and handed it over.

Ethan took the paper off it and placed it on Josh's cut. He let out a growl. "What I want to know is who cut him."

"M-maybe it was an accident," Debra stammered. "I mean...who would really do this to him?"

"A murderer." Ethan ran a hand through his hair. "A murderer who was attempting to kill Josh."

Debbie teared up. "Why? Why?!"

"Probably for the fun of it. And the worst part is...that murderer is still out there. Why, he or she could be watching us...as we speak. Waiting. And deciding who to kill next."

The girls hugged one another. So did the boys.

Collin was hugging me and whimpering. "I am too young to die!"

I sighed and put my hands on his shoulders, pulling him away from me and staring straight at him. "Collin, there is no need to worry. No reason to panic. This is just one of Ethan's sick jokes. We all know that Josh cut himself by accident."

Bam, bam, bam!

Everyone, including me and Collin, jumped. We could have slipped out of our shoes if we were capable.

Bam, bam, bam!

Loud knocks were coming...

...coming from the other side of the front door.

"The killer!" the girls screamed.

"Ah! It is the killer!" Collin joined the girls as he got on his knees and crawled under a bed.

I facepalmed. "Collin..."

"Let me in!" a voice commanded. It belonged to a man. "Let me in! Now!"

"No!" one of the girls denied. "Never!"

"Let me come in!"

I instantly recognized the voice.

It was Paul. The bus driver.

"Guys, cool your jets!" I had to speak over the cries and whimpers. "It is just our bus driver." I opened the door.

And you know what? I was right.

And wrong.

I assumed that Paul was by himself, however, he was not.

"I am glad that you all are here and alive," Paul said as he entered the cabin, dragging two ice blocks behind him. "I cannot say the same for these two." He showed us the ice blocks.

Some of my classmates shrieked. Some cried.

Sheila and Valerie...were encased in blocks of ice.

Paul set the frozen Sheila and Valerie against the wooden wall. "I found them floating in the lake just down the path. I am not sure that they are alive."

Ethan scrunched up his face. "This...this was murder!"